Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Cougar enthusiasts!

I have a 68 Base Cougar the I am restoring. Getting real close to finishing the body work and sending it to paint. Everything else has been rebuilt from tip to toe.

I am adding an overhead console to this car. I acquired the front bracket and the rear cross brace and mocked this all up many times. I strung the factory wiring harness around to the passenger C-pillar area. I also fabricated a harness from the C-pillar area to the dash area to accommodate the power, dash dimmer connection. I also redesigned the idiot light insert to add switches for an aftermarket (Rostra) cruise control, map lights and a location for my hands free microphone. If there is a demand for any of this info, I can see how long it would take to post it all. I have the schematics for all the connections (with no cutting of the factory overhead console wiring btw).

I have already 3D-printed that new panel that used to house the idiot lights on the overhead console that will now accommodate switches for map lights, my hands-free microphone and switches for an aftermarket Rostra cruise control (4 switches and the mic). I also have available the STL for the 3D printed insert if anybody is interested.

I recently installed the headliner (and then the glass) with the wiring tucked up above the overhead console cross bracket waiting for the time when I decide to install the console.
When I go to install the overhead console, I will have to cut the headliner to accommodate a relief for the back of the map lights to attach the console.

My question is: Does anybody have a photograph of a factory 68 XR7 headliner (with the overhead console removed) that shows how the headliner was cut at the factory install?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
106 Posts
mgaeta12, very interested! I'm doing a similar thing with my 68. I had decided to just use the dome light feature on the overhead console, however would like to know more about what you're doing. Are you using the XR7 dash setup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mgaeta12, very interested! I'm doing a similar thing with my 68. I had decided to just use the dome light feature on the overhead console, however would like to know more about what you're doing. Are you using the XR7 dash setup?
I am not using the XR7 dash, just the base dash. Later I'll post a picture or two of what I've done, and how I see this in the end state.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not using the XR7 dash, just the base dash. Later I'll post a picture or two of what I've done, and how I see this in the end state.
Thanks buddy. Trying to figure out the wiring schematic of the upper console harness. I'm thinking the 3 wire connector is for the map lights and the 4 wire connector is for the idiot lights. Appreciate your help on that when you have the time too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks buddy. Trying to figure out the wiring schematic of the upper console harness. I'm thinking the 3 wire connector is for the map lights and the 4 wire connector is for the idiot lights. Appreciate your help on that when you have the time too.
So here is a photo of how the factory XR7 overhead console wires are connected. You are not correct in your assumption about the three and four wire connectors. Study this photo with my notes. Also, I redrew the factory wiring diagram so I could best utilize the the factory harness I had without cutting it. This drawing should help you. The issue that you are going to have is that a Base 68 Cougar does not have the wiring harness at the passenger C-Pillar to connect your overhead console cable (if you actually have a factory XR7 harness. If you just want the courtesy lights, you can use the drawing and pick up the courtesy wire at the passenger (or driver) C-pillar where the opera lights would be (behind the headliner halfway up the C-Pillar. Don Rush published a video of installing opera lights in a Base model that can show you where that wire is taped off on the factory harness.

I will post some pictures and schematics of what I am planning to do to my overhead console by adding four switches for map lights, cruise control, and fog lights along with a cutout for my hands free microphone. On that schematic, I split the opera light source because I added opera lights to my restoration, and I wanted them, and the overhead console map lights to all come on when I turned the headlight switch all the way to the left. That will be in a follow-up post. I am still looking for somebody who might have a picture of the headliner on an XR7 cut to accommodate the map light housing.

I hope this helps you get to where you want to be with your conversion.

Font Wood Electrical wiring Cable Electronic device

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those that may be interested, here are a couple of photos and the schematic of what I am planning on doing with my overhead console when I am finished this restoration. I already pulled the factory overhead console wire from the overhead console, along the windshield support, across the top of the passenger windows and down to the C-Pill/wheel well area. I have the wire tucked up above the console cross car support just waiting for me to finish the local wiring on my new console configuration and to cut the headliner. I created a new harness (based on a two trailer wiring harnesses from autozone that run up to the dash area for power and dash (dimmed) lighting connection, and awaiting the installation of the Rostra Cruise control device.

I have the 3D-printed object SLT file if anybody want to exactly reproduce what I am doing.

I hope you all find this interesting.
Table Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Font
Motor vehicle Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gas Electrical wiring
Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
mgaeta12, thanks for the great detailed information. I was able to connect the map lights and opera lights to the one pin connector without cutting the harness. I used a 3 way connector from an old cut up cougar harness and added a single pin male connector to connect to the opera light connection on the passenger side wiring. I then connected the opera light and the 2 connectors from the overhead console wiring by turning the connectors sideways onto the 3 way connector. See the pictures attached. I'm also interested in the STL for the insert and details about the fabricated harness. I'm thinking about going ahead and installing the harness for later when I'm ready.
Hand Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Asphalt

Plant Twig Wood Wire Ceiling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts