Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use one for their '68. The one, mine came with, doesn't actually seal when it's on, I've had to stick a rubber "packing" on the back of the number plate, so that it stops the cap from rattling around, seems to do the trick, but always looking at improving things. All else fails, I'll get an original non-locking gas cap. Funny thing is, original lady owner complained to her mechanic about the strong smell of gas, it just says on the invoice, "investigated", obviously, no one bothered to look at the cap itself, they just did work on the carb.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i raised the hinge pivot holes 3/4 inch for more bumper clearance with the large nozzels---this makes you have to unlock the trunk to open the lic plate--instant locking cap
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
All I see is an empty shopping cart in your post..? I have A Stant locking cap on mine.....you have to futz with it a bit to ensure it's really seated properly - push down and turn/wiggle it to be sure the little winged tabs are locked/snug. I don't like it much but it works. Also note that some caps are for vented tanks and non vented (Ca ones)

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
This is the one that came with your car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-Mercury-Cougar-XR7-XR-7-Eliminator-New-Gas-Cap-/260890931619?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbe4fb1a3

This Stant will work on a 67 or 68
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-59-60-62-64-65-66-68-70-72-OLDS-CHEVY-BUICK-DODGE-FORD-TRUCK-LINCOLN-CHRYSLER-/330687368791?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfe80ce57

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Don't forget if your running an original setup you must have a VENTED gas cap.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also have a Stant locking gas cap on my '68, which has been on there for 19 years now without any issues at all.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The back of yours should look like the one catman posted - if not, I bet it's wrong. Not sure what they mean by push on type? Kinda sounds right....can't tell by pic

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
The push on caps have the two locators that match the notches in the filler neck. The other one locks in place after it's pushed on.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The newer ones push on same way.

The original cap's locators line up with the notches in the filler neck too but are used to screw on the cap. The paper gasket on the back covers a thin brass disk that turns after you line up the locators, push and turn the cap to lock it on.

If you have one like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locking-Fuel-Gas-Cap-car-truck-SUV-NEW-/360315846006?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACougar&vxp=mtr&hash=item53e47f7d76

It may be too long and is bottoming out before the lock can engage. Or there is a different distance between the cap's rubber gasket and the locking tabs compared to the filler neck. that will cause fumes to escape.

I agree with Bad69cat you might have the wrong one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Don't forget if your running an original setup you must have a VENTED gas cap"

Hmmm, it's been a week and still waiting, but the blurb says:

"STANT FUEL TANK CAP, LOCKING, VENTED, CHROME"

so hopefully it will do the job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I need a new gas cap for mine. preferably not locking. Im sick of using a key to open it. pain in the @$$

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Is this the right gas cap?

.It seems to have a lil' extra on the bottom and on the cap face it warns that fuel may be under pressure! Looks like radiator cap.
Have you tried to install it yet? That cap is a newer model. The valve on the back lets the cap vent better. The cap has to breathe since early Cougar filler necks aren't vented.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you tried to install it yet? That cap is a newer model. The valve on the back lets the cap vent better. The cap has to breathe since early Cougar filler necks aren't vented.
Thanks for the post, yes, cap fits perfectly, but that was my concern, will it breath?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts