Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just an update from here in Iowa with the Cougar...
Tore the motor down about 2 months ago since it got so hot... Did full port & polish on a set of 289 heads for my 302... New guides, planed, new Ferrea Stainless valves (1.94", 1.60"), new pushrods, full roller rockers, etc...

Got the thing back together saturday night, and it has noticably more power... will roast the slicks (Mickey Thompson 9" non-DOT) anywhere in first gear... I'm likin' it a lot. Of course, when I say it'll burn the slicks, thats cold... will not break them loose at the strip after a decent burnout.

A couple words to the wise... be diligent about checking valve to piston clearances when assembling, both vertically and horizontally... You can use modelling clay for this, I suggest doing all 8 cylinders if you have any doubts...

Power steering fluid burns when leaking on hot headers, theoretically...

Pay attention to detail with anything that is near your headers, if so equipped; the buggers get broiling hot, unless you married into money... then you have the ceramic coated ones...

I will update in the next couple weeks with some runs at the drag strip...

Logan, if you give me some instruction, I'll do a short video clip and post the link. I have access to some digital cameras that will take 20 or so seconds of video.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad its back together and all seems well. Bet your glad the port job is done, what a pain right? mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The porting is a CRAPLOAD of tedious, difficult work. BUT, I like taking stuff and through a little work, some skill, and lots of advice and help from folks who know, put the car back together and have it make more power. You could even spend a bunch of $$$ and get some AFR heads, or better yet, get some new aftermarket heads AND some professional portwork, but I guess it depends on how you want to enjoy your hobby. People have hobbies they participate in with their checkbook, and those of us who like to enjoy our hobbies by participating with our hands. I have to be careful because my two sons are both small, 4 and 8; the car will be there when there all growed' up.

Ron.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Head porting

I seem to recall seeing an article in a magazine a few years back about some company in Colorado that had do-it-yourself guides to head porting. They even supplied templates on where to grind (and where not to grind!) and such. The article was about doing 429/460 heads, but I'm sure that they'd have them all. Anyone help me with the name of the company?

I tried my hand at porting a set of early 429 heads after pulling the motor out of my old tow vehicle. These heads had the thermactor bumps but were not drilled for the passages and such. I got rid of the huge bump (restriction) in the exhaust port, blended the curves nicer and pocket-ported around the valve stem in the bowl area. Boy, they looked nice! I have never tried bolting them onto another motor, but I'd guess that that quickie job (less than 10 min/port) would do wonders. I'm sure I had more than a couple pounds of metal shavings on the floor when I was done!

I'll have to post some pics of the ported vs unported heads.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have done lots of sets on my stock cars, and they are tedious and time consuming. Saved them up for cold winter days. Some turned out good some didnt. I dont want to talk about the set of DOAE's that I ground through the last port I was working on. Finally got smart and had a guy with a flo bench check them and till you do you dont realize how hard it is to get all the ports flowing the same. Best investment I ever made was electric die grinder! No wearing out a noisey compressor anymore. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,

There's a company in Nevada, Iowa called Midwest Cylinder Head, they specialize in repairing (welding) cylinder heads and other cast iron stuff like blocks, pump bells, etc... They are really hot rod, they heat the casting in an oven til it's red hot, weld on it, and then cool it down slowly... avoids stress buildups that otherwise crack cast iron. I found a chunk of foundry sand in one of my exhaust ports stuck in the casting... had to have it welded up... I'm very happy with how it turned out.

On my second set, a pair of DOOE 351W heads, I used a Makita die grinder... was much faster than my Foredom flexible shaft tool.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks Ron, but I dont intend on grinding through anymore!! If I do though theres a place in Indy called Indy cyl head. I'm sure you have heard of them? Yep the Makita is my weapon of choice!! mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts