Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1zhelp: Hi Everyone!! :D I was just wondering how to remove my broken hand brake handle??? I see a small metal circle in the right hand side, do i push it in, remove it and if so how???

Many thanks

Stu - :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHAT!!!

HA HA HA Well i thought it was going to be an easy one but not that easy!! Hey i will be getting my shop manual, vacuum and wiring diagrams in the next few days... may be then i'll stop asking stupid questions!! HA HA :p:

Many thanks

Stu :D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Stu, there are no stupid questions.
Great on the manuals, you will like them alot.

Rick

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hey Stu, No question is stupid if you didn't know the answer.

Bruce

·
Registered
429 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you need drive that little pin out the other side of the handle with a small punch. Then you can install the new handle.

·
11,000 Posts
The pin in thebrake handle can't be driven out with a punch, the hole only goes through one side. Here's how I replace them:

Take the plastic handle off in medieval fashion. I use a large pair of Channel - Lok pliers to rip the plastic portion off. Then use a cutoff wheel or hacksaw to remove the metal innards.

After this fun part of the job you can see just the pin sticking out of the mechanism shaft. I grind it down flush with an abrasive disc, center punch it and drill it with a #40 (1/16") drill, then step up to pin diameter which is #30 (1/8") drill size.

The new handle will fit very tightly on the shaft, it takes a lot of force to push it into place. Once it is on there and the hole lined up the pin can be squeezed into the hole using the large (12" handle) Channel - Lok pliers or a large C-Clamp. Wrap tape around the handle first to keep from scuffing it up. Using a hammer shatters the new plastic handle, then you have to start over and do it as I mention above.

It's easier to do with the handle out of the car but I've done it both ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts