Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ivar
How many Cougars are in your registry ?
Today there are 382 cars. But I'm sure there are more 1967-73 Cougars in Sweden that I haven't found yet.
For example, a man I met two years ago told me owns five or six Cougars. I can't find them in the Swedish national register, so maybe they are not officially registered.

Now, back to the rebodied GT-E.
The current owner phoned me not one hour ago, and it turns out that he is aware of the car beeing a rebody. He hasn't been using it for a couple of years, and is now thinking of restoring it back to original.
To be continued... ;-)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
With the original body gone how is he planning to do that ? Or is he going restore the body back to its original ? I'm confused, But then I get confused easy these days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I show that car as having been rebodied and last known to be in Sweden. It is a Std 427 Wellington Blue with Lt Blue Interior. The only one built in that color combo.
According to the book Cougar by the Numbers there were 549 cars built in 1968 with that color combo. Or do you have other/more info on this?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think he means it's the only 427 GT-E with that color combo, not the only 68 Cougar.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the original body gone how is he planning to do that ? Or is he going restore the body back to its original ? I'm confused, But then I get confused easy these days.
Now in a bit confused. ;-)
Let's see if I have understood this rebody process correctly.

The VIN the rebodied GT-E has belongs to a Standard 1968 with a 427 engine.
Parts from a donor car were used to convert it to a XR-7.
Plus parts (exterior, interior, suspension, engine, and so on) to make it look like and handle a GT-E.

Is that correct?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The Vin belongs to the only GTE in that combo. A rebody would involve transfering the Vin tag, Inner fender sections containing the vin. Big Block shock towers, Complete drive train and correct interior and GTE exterior trim including grill and tail lights. Also suspension,brakes,exhaust wheels and correct paint. I'm sure I've forgoton something but basicly all one would need would be the unibody sheet metal from the donor car .

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Vin belongs to the only GTE in that combo. A rebody would involve transfering the Vin tag, Inner fender sections containing the vin. Big Block shock towers, Complete drive train and correct interior and GTE exterior trim including grill and tail lights. Also suspension,brakes,exhaust wheels and correct paint. I'm sure I've forgoton something but basicly all one would need would be the unibody sheet metal from the donor car .
Wow, that's alot of work and time. I wonder if the current owner is aware of all that.
Then again, it depends on how the rebody was done.
Maybe Jim Pinkerton knows more details about what came from the donor car?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Now in a bit confused. ;-)
Let's see if I have understood this rebody process correctly.

The VIN the rebodied GT-E has belongs to a Standard 1968 with a 427 engine.
Parts from a donor car were used to convert it to a XR-7.
Plus parts (exterior, interior, suspension, engine, and so on) to make it look like and handle a GT-E.

Is that correct?

Handle like a GT-E? is that a good thing?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It would handle worse with the small block suspension in it .

21 - 31 of 31 Posts