Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this site. Is 8F91W543062 listed in the registry?
No, not my car....yet:uhoh:
What VIN# was the first and last GTE W code?

Thanks

JohnB

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Welcome from across the pond.

You need to contact Jim Pinkerton, a member here on this site.

He is the GT-E reigistrar and will be of most excellent service to you!

Hopefully, that VIN is not in the registry and yet another accounted for.

Cheers to ya.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I show that car as having been rebodied and last known to be in Sweden. It is a Std 427 Wellington Blue with Lt Blue Interior. The only one built in that color combo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I show that car as having been rebodied and last known to be in Sweden. It is a Std 427 Wellington Blue with Lt Blue Interior. The only one built in that color combo.

OK. Any info about when and where it was rebodied? How hard does that influence on the value?

Thanks

JohnB

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Rebodied means you have a bunch of expensive GT-E parts and another cougar. Big influence.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
John B. -- I'm on the road at the moment. Will be back home approx. February 15th. I have a bunch of information on the car including the number of the car that was used to rebody it. We'll exchange emails later on this subject.
Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
John B -- Rather than PM you on this I thought I'd post here for the edification of others as well, as this car is an example of a rebodied GT-E, that has caused some buyers problems. First, it was rebodied using 8R93S513078 in the early 90's. Notice that orginally it was a Standard Cougar, but it now is magically an XR-7. I personally inspected the car, and I met and discussed the matter with the guy who did the rebody. It was at a brokers place in San Diego at the time, who refused to market it as rebodied. Fortunately buyers contacted me first and the broker couldn't sell it locally. It was sold to someone in Germany, then Switzerland, then Sweden, and in each case the buyers were unaware of the rebody, until they contacted me. They should have contacted me first. While there's nothing intrinsically wrong with a rebody, not divulging it to the subesequent buyer(s) is a problem, and also fraud. The GT-E Registry carries notations on such cars, that in fact they are rebodies, with a $ ? so that potential buyers, when I talk to them about the car, are informed of the situation and can adjust their thinking if necessary. By the by, when I saw the car, lo these many years ago, it was a very handsome car. Let me know if you have further questions.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Info Jim, This IS Cougar News! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim

Thanks a LOT. Do you know if the original GTE-E engine, trans etc was used in the "new" body?

JohnB

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sorry John, I don't know for sure. My notes indicate that it was a 427 with the correct aluminum intake but incorrect holley carb, but that was way back in 1993 and of course I don't recall now how much stuff I was able to check out. It was at Antique Automotive in a showroom.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It would all depend on the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not for me........If you want GOLD, you wants the REAL deal...not polished brass. Maybe thats just me....;-)

JohnB

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hot news indeed!
Thanks JohnRB for asking here.

Since I run the Swedish Mercury Cougar 1967-73 registry this is very interesting information.

Best regards,

Ivar

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ivar
How many Cougars are in your registry ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts