Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm purchasing a sweet Nordic blue '68 GT Cat with a 390 4V and C6 auto this week. The current owners are the original owners, they picked this baby up in 1968 from the dealership here on Maui. I got a deal on the car I could not refuse and I have taken it up as my first official project car. I do have some experience working with Mustangs, but I did have some questions about rust treatment on the car.

As far as rust goes, its not that bad. The lip of the trunk lid is rusting away. Has some holes. Same deal with the hood. There's some minor surface rust around the car. The owner had already been working on restoring it, so there are bits here and there that have been rust treated, Bondo'd and sanded down to metal. Not bad, I can work with the exterior. The thing that concerns me is the interior.

The floor panels on both the driver and passenger side have rust. The rest of the interior is in really good shape, the headliner, seats, dash and console are nearly perfect. But there's no carpet on the floor and there are a few small holes in the floor panels. It looks like its going to be a lot of work to get the rust out. Any advice on how to handle this? Perhaps any alternatives?

Mahalo,
-Steven

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Your big concerns should be if there is rust the torque boxes, frame rails as well as the cowl.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the car thoroughly inspected for rust, the only spots that have any rust are the ones I mentioned. Thankfully, the previous owners on this car took very good care of it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Any pics you could provide? Don't forget to inspect the trunk drop-off areas. A 4 1/2" grinder was the greatest tool I purchased. Bad on the ears (buy full ear covers), but hell of a necessity. You could cut out any small rust areas in squares, and fabricate patches. If no welder, take it to a shop. Eric.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get some more detailed pictures up later this week. The trunk is surprisingly rust-free, unlike many of the Mustangs I've seen here. Their trunks are often brown nightmares.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I like Nordic Blue. Great Color !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed it is, I used to have a blue Hotwheels '68 Cougar when I was a kid. Pretty amazing that I managed to buy the real deal. I've been searching for car paint to match that exact color. No luck so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts