Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
I am not buying it, that is all I know. Looks like a decent project vehicle, I would like to see someone on the Classic Cougar Forum pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
It's also a Standard GTE.
Royce-
How many standard and how many XR7 GTE's were made?

·
11,000 Posts
The standards are rarer. I believe the total GTE production is 395 of which 101 were 427 powered standard GTE's. I have the latest registry on disc at work, the total figure is approximate. The 101 is from Kevin Marti's book Cougar....by the Numbers. Total 427 GTE production was 357, the rest being 428CJ powered. I don't have the 428CJ breakdown for GTE's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The GT-E on ebay is mine. If anyone has any questions, feel free to give me a call on my cell phone anytime at 803 - 645-5307. If I don't answer, leave me a message and I'll call you back. I sold my other GT-E and 429CJ Cougar on ebay last year and was going to keep this one to restore but I'm in the middle of restoring my 69 CJ Mustang and have two many projects going. However if anyone knows of a CJ or Boss car I would be interested in trading.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
nice car
. I wish i had some spare cash floating around i buy it. I am just trying to get parts for the 70 but damn that 68 is nice..
thanks
pat
p.s. how does it run?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
welcome Bill, hope you stick around. Thats to bad you have to sell it, but I know how it goes. Good luck and hope someone here picks it up.

Rick

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's my ultimate desire. I just don't know that I can afford it since we're building a house.

I'll keep my eyes on it though...:D

Ken

·
Registered
197 Posts
A friend of mine spotted the car on ebay and said i should buy it since i live so close, (spartanburg SC ) I would looove to have it but unfortunately have way tooo many projects in the fire, so i thought i would come on here and post a message telling you guys about it but as usual i found that i was the one behind on the news. Great job guys on keeping your eyes peeled for these very rare cats. ,,,,, Someone in here needs to give this cat a new home, and if someone does and needs help restoring it let me know , i would be glad to help. Thanks jack

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That is my dream car. But if I could sell my two cougars, I think I would still be short.
I hope you get what you want for it. You wouldn't want to take payments, would you???

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Well 20,000 dollars and it could have been yours. I really can't believe it went for that much, considering a full restoration is still needed. Wow! Good for him

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not that it matters, but I don't think a full restoration was needed. Or atleast not what my definition of a full resoration is. For a car that rare, I quite honestly would have paid about $25K, but fortunately for me I don't have an extra 25K laying around. My wife would absolutely kill me if I had bought that car right now.
For now my Johnny Lightning GTE will have to do.

·
11,000 Posts
Wow! I need better security around here. Every time a GTE sells the price goes up. That car has not run in 29 years and will need a top to bottom restoration and went for 20 large!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for everyones interest in the GTE I had on ebay. It really sold for $25,000 which is what I had told everyone that asked me the "stop auction" price for it. Several people wanted it but I took the first one that could get me a deposit. The only two GT-E's that I have seen on ebay recently are the two that I have sold. I sold them because I am looking for a nice driver or restored GT-E so if anybody knows of one for sale, please let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts