Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
428cjhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-MERCURY-COUGAR-GTE-427-CARRIBEAN-BLUE-VERY-RARE-/300514319338?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f80c9bea GT-E for sale ebay not mine belongs to member on board

·
11,000 Posts
One of the best eBay ads I have ever seen. Very unusual combination of options too.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I think a better move would have been to wait until after Brians car sold at BJ. Unless the seller is pessimistic about that sale.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I love the color of the this car, but if you take a close look at it's condition, it's not half the car that Brian is selling. This blue car, I'll bet, is a mess under that 1980's restoration. Look at the trunk floors. Yuck. It's not that it's not a nice car. It just doesn't compare to Gunnar. Did I spell that correctly?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
This car has been offered for sale no less than 20 times in the last 3 years for under $60k. Each time, everyone on this board gets all excited and wonders why so cheap? This is the first time it has been properly and truthfully marketed. My hat goes off to the person for doing a fantastic job of honestly representing this car warts and all. NOBODY will be able to complain about it being misrepresented after looking at these pictures. What a wonderful experience ebay would be everyone did auctions to half the degree this seller does.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It kind of reminds me of a recent Ebay purchase of mine. NO, I DIDN'T BUY A GT-E, I purchased a chrome bumper for my Buick.

When it arrived it had lots of RUST, but not scaly RUST. After an hour of using 0000 steel wool, and chrome cleaner it looked so much better, but I knew that without wax, etc. it would return soon. We all know that the rust REMOVED the Chrome, so the bare metal was not protected.

I too would be surprised if the 80's restoration didn't/doesn't hide many issues.

Yes, the presentation is complete, but until one sees it in real life, well I wouldn't recommend purchase without crawling all over/under such. IMHO. The fact it hasn't sold for so long must speak volumes.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
391 Posts
I note that a lot of the seams (like around the trunk where the quarter panel meets the upper back panel) don't look quite right. So I agree with Don, by including such clear photos, the seller is representing the car very truthfully. And it's a nice color/option combination.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just to get my facts straight on a GTE. If the original front fenders were present would they have holes in the lip to attach the regular Cougar fender molding?

·
11,000 Posts
How would you be able to tell if they were original (drilled before the fender was installed at the factory) or not?

Looking at lots of GT-E's over the years both restored and unrestored I have yet to see a set of fenders that did not have the holes drilled. Many owners added the wheel trims that came on standard Cougars. People like shiny stuff.

Just to get my facts straight on a GTE. If the original front fenders were present would they have holes in the lip to attach the regular Cougar fender molding?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Front GT-E fenders had the wheel lip trim holes drilled from the factory. They were re-jigged after production for the emblem and side trim holes using a "regular" fender to start with. The rear wheel lip molding holes were not drilled at the factory since the base body itself originallly was made with all of its side trim holes from the getgo.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I love the color of the this car, but if you take a close look at it's condition, it's not half the car that Brian is selling. This blue car, I'll bet, is a mess under that 1980's restoration. Look at the trunk floors. Yuck. It's not that it's not a nice car. It just doesn't compare to Gunnar. Did I spell that correctly?

Yeah... it would totally be a shame to have a GT-E that you wouldn't feel bad about driving on the street. Gunnar is not that car, of course. But "Carribean Blue" sure could be! :toung:

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Front GT-E fenders had the wheel lip trim holes drilled from the factory. They were re-jigged after production for the emblem and side trim holes using a "regular" fender to start with. The rear wheel lip molding holes were not drilled at the factory since the base body itself originally was made with all of its side trim holes from the getgo.
Thanks for that clarification Jim, so this guy locally that has a GTE with one fender drilled and one that is not probably has a service replacement fender on one side? I have noticed that NOS fenders do not have holes for the wheel lips and of course no holes for the antenna as that was always put on at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Thanks for that clarification Jim, so this guy locally that has a GTE with one fender drilled and one that is not probably has a service replacement fender on one side? I have noticed that NOS fenders do not have holes for the wheel lips and of course no holes for the antenna as that was always put on at the dealer.
Don,

As an fyi, '70 Eliminator factory front fenders also are drilled for the holes, but original unmolested will not have threads cut into the holes.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is surprising information to me. The one fender on my car that I was certain to be original, does not have the holes. The other one I know was replaced 40 years ago [original Merc replacement], has the holes. They look to be stamped, not drilled.
I'm sure I read somewhere that GT-E fenders didn't have the holes. I know,I know, you can't believe everything you read.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Both versions of this have circulated over the years. I confess we don't know for sure, and by this I mean I don't have any definitive evidence.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Both versions of this have circulated over the years. I confess we don't know for sure, and by this I mean I don't have any definitive evidence.
This is why I went with "one of each"!

But seriously..I always thought the GT-E Fenders were hole-less and the replacement Fenders had holes! Shows what I know..

I thought I'd leave mine as-is for the sake of conversation and to avoid "hiding" anything more than I have to. It's an interesting discussion, and if a potential buyer wants to debate it or question it..well, they're a potential buyer and they must be looking at the car AWFULLY closely. That can't be a bad thing. For all we know, the car was put together without close inspection in Dearborn. I can go with that story with as much assurance and accuracy as any other story I've got ;)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
This GT-E, in my opinion, is a classic example of one that is too good and too not-so-good. It's stuck in a bit of a "no Man's land", as it is a bit too tired to be called a collector's car and it is too nice to be a car for the average Joe to buy and drive, of course. It is tough to buy a 427 and just start drivin' it around on a regular basis, as it is rare and it has it's quirks and must be well cared for and worried over constantly..one feels safer with this kind of car in the garage, mostly, and feels obligated to stay out of foul weather, etc.

It is going to be a GREAT buy for someone who simply wants a good looking and very rare car, but it still takes 50-55K to get it bought. There are a lot of very cool cars around for that kind of money these days. A LOT.

Conversely, the car is a total project for the guy that wants to build a show car or an auction car. The rust issues and body issues are one thing, but it is also a bit tired in the seats, the chrome (window frames, for example), the anodized Stainless, the dash, emblems, etc. The biggest problem, to me, if I was looking for that original Patina, though, is the fact that it was repainted quite a few years ago and still shows some wear and tear. If it was original wear-and-tear, I'd love the time-capsule look. But it isn't. It is too good (and expensive) to feel like taking on as a project, but it is too tired to be a real "Show-Car" example of a GT-E. I like the exterior color, but that interior color is gonna take someone who has that particular "taste", which could be difficult.

There really aren't too many regular-'ol GT-E "drivers" around, but this is a great candidate. But in this day and age, there is not a lot of Home Equity money laying around for the hobbyist to take advantage of, and there are a SLUG of cars around in the 30-60K price range that can be bought in almost perfect condition..they aren't GT-E Cougars, though ;)

Reactions: 67BlueXR7
1 - 20 of 37 Posts