Mercury Cougar Owners banner

68 Factory Tach Problem

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dark7068 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a 68 XR7 390. It has an MSD ignition and the factory tach will spin all the way up to about 450 rpms! I thought I saw someone post a message about some sort of ballast with an aftermarket coil.

Can anyone explain it for me? I'd love to get the tach working...

#2 ·
which box

Which msd box do you have? If its the 6A series I can help the msd boxes have a special tach ouput do to the multiple sparks it releases up to 3500 RPMs. It is a pushon connector (like a speaker connector) mounted flush on the box.

#3 ·
Aliright here is what i know 1.have to figure out what type of trigger your tach uses 2. after that you may need the msd adapter p/ns are 8910&8920 and hopefully you get lucky because the tach in my 73XR7 wouldn't work no matter what I did,also if you think maybe your msd tach output is bad use a voltmeter and read it,it should be between 1-5 volts or so at least thats for a MSD6A.

#9 ·
Well ok you have the MSD 6A UNIT and it has its own tach output on it ,you need to check and see if your tach connection goes to that .If it does then check and see if tach output is good with a voltmeter read the tach output. Now with an MSD THE TACH CANNOT hook up to the coil.If you need the installation instructions for the MSD visit their website. Also it is always a good idea to have the wiring diagrams for your car they making tracing any wires alittle easier.Hope some of this helps you out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.