Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Just acquired a 68 cougar, 302 2bbl, 46,000 miles. 43 years old, time for rebuld and thinking performer rpm heads. Will the factory 68 exhaust manifolds bolt up to the edlebrock heads? Anyone gone with the stock manifolds instead of headers?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would think the original manifolds would but what a waste it would be as the stock manifolds kill performance and is the first thing to get rid of when looking for more power. I take it your not concerned with originality since your looking at aftermarket heads? I have seen people replace the stock 289/302 manifolds with 351w manifolds as they flow quite a bit better though nothing close to a good set of headers. IMO if you are not going to use headers the money spent on those heads would be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all:

Just acquired a 68 cougar, 302 2bbl, 46,000 miles. 43 years old, time for rebuld and thinking performer rpm heads. Will the factory 68 exhaust manifolds bolt up to the edlebrock heads? Anyone gone with the stock manifolds instead of headers?
You could possibly be wasting your money on the heads if you run the stock manifolds. It depends on what the flow numbers are on the manifolds. Try looking around the internets to see if someone has had a set on a flow bench. You don't want to see numbers lower than what the heads flow on the exhaust side.

If it were me I would do a port job on the stock heads and gasket match the manifolds if I was set on using them.

To answer your original question.... the stock manifolds should bolt up. There are not many heads these days that need special headers. Gasket matching would be a good idea.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts