Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about some of the details on a 68. Mine's an xr7 and it has these chromed moldings in the wheelwells and between the wheels at the underside (along the side. Forgot what those are called again).
Now I've seen many pictures of 68's that don't have these "alongside" big chrome things and even some don't have the wheelwell moldings.
Is that something optional or is it just that the owners don't like it and get it off?

Another thing, I've seen some pics of 68 xr7s that have two tiny white lines running alongside, from near the top of the front fender extensions to near the top of the rear ones. Is that something that's supposed to be on? If so, was it on all cars or was it optional. If optional, how do I know if mine came with those? (paint is not original).

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
11,000 Posts
Wheel lip moldings were standard equipment on all 1967 - 68 Cougars EXCEPT the 1968 GTE's.

Pin striping was standard on all 1967 - 68 Cougars.

Rocker moldings were standard on 1968 Cougar XR-7's EXCEPT GTE's. Rocker moldings were optional on 1968 standard Cougars EXCEPT GTE's.

Wheel lip moldings are getting very expensive to replace which explains why a lot of people don't have them on their Cougars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if you want to put them back on and if i remeber correctly they were 1/4 inch from the body line 1/8 inch thick each 1/4 inch apart ( 2 years auto body and a previous cougar) but dont quote me on it but i think thats what it supposed to be

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This pin striping, is that painted on or are those stickers?

Thanks,
Matthijs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts