Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a list of 68 options (dealer/factory) know if a ski rack was available. A former Cougar owner told me he had a ski rack on his 68???????

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Does anyone with a list of 68 options (dealer/factory) know if a ski rack was available. A former Cougar owner told me he had a ski rack on his 68???????
I have an original '68 Owner's Manual (not the original to my car) and it does list a Ski Carrier & Adaptors as an accessory. It was probably available through the dealership only. John

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The luggage rack was not available as a factory option in 1968. As John said, you could get it as an accessory over the counter at a dealership. The luggage rack was a factory option in 1967 and came as part of the Ski Pack Special in 1969 & 1970.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Jeff, ClawIt was wondering about a ski rack instead of a luggage rack. Sure would like to see what the ski carrier & adapters looked like. John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jeff, ClawIt was wondering about a ski rack instead of a luggage rack. Sure would like to see what the ski carrier & adapters looked like. John
The ski rack was an adaptor that mounted to the luggage rack. You can find pictures of it in 1964 1/2 thru 1973 Mustang Recognition Guide by Larry Dobbs, Donald Farr, Jerry Heasley, Rick Kopec

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The ski rack was an adaptor that mounted to the luggage rack. You can find pictures of it in 1964 1/2 thru 1973 Mustang Recognition Guide by Larry Dobbs, Donald Farr, Jerry Heasley, Rick Kopec
OK, I just have never seen one on a '68. Thanks. Sorry Jeff.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 68 Dealer/Factory Options - Ski Rack???

I took some pictures of this Cougar's trunk (after moving a ton of stuff off of it). The underside has wing nuts on about 2 inch bolts that you see the heads on top. Looks like you loosened the bolts and either slipped something under them or pulled the bolts out completely and placed "the rack" on top of the beveled spacers and reinserted the bolts. The guy who owns it now does not have whatever goes on the bolts. The original owner who he bought it from said it had a ski rack but it was missing. The original owner said it looked like the ski rack on the 69 Cougar in the James Bond movie.

Its a mystery.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts