Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our much loved 1968 Cougar is looking for a new home. We're the 2nd owner. This was the basic model, a 3-speed stick, 289, black vinyl top. Body is near perfect (blue). One minor dent in front right fender. Zero rust. Interior was re-done (seats re-done, new carpet). Ran well the last time it was driven. Its been garaged the past 12 years. Mileage is ~150K. Sequential tail-lights and lamp lids work. Overall in very good shape, but not in show-winning condition.

I'll try to get some photos ASAP.

We're open to serious offers. We're in San Jose, CA.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Could you post the V.I.N (Vehicle Identification Number) and the other information on the data tag on the drivers door. Thanks, and good luck with the sale. John

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Pics would help alot to sell it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I know. I'm not with the car. I will try to get photos within a week.
The car's at my dad's place and I'm not sure he can figure out how to take digital photos and email them. So...ya, probably between Christmas and New Years I'll try to get it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I was able to get some photos today...

The "dent" on the fender was not really like a remembered it (in a good way). It's more of a scratch and a couple paint chips. Cosmetic only.
Here's a link to the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625536667735/

I forgot to get a photo under the hood but there's nothing special. Pretty much original. It runs. Not great. Not terrible. Probably a matter of tuning it up.
Fuel gage has some issues (bobber in tank?).

Anyway...if you're not interested in purchasing, we're open to your honest appraisal. If you're interested, send me a message w/ your contact info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted a link to photos yesterday but I guess it hasn't showed up yet because the forum moderator has to approve it(?). Anyway...hopefully it will show up soon.
Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, 3 days later my message with the link to photos are still not showing up on this forum. I'm starting to think they are never going to appear.
If you're interested, send me a private message and I will then reply to you with a link to photos on flickr.
I have also put a posting on craigslist in the SF bay area (east San Jose area) for $5500.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that's the one.
Not sure why you're able to post links on this forum and I'm not, but in any case, thanks for posting.
There hasn't been much interest. What do you all think is a fair price?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I suggest you add undercarriage photos to show that it is rust-free. The basic problem you're encountering (IMHO) is that Cougars don't get any more basic than this. It's a standard version with a 2-barrel 302, no decor interior option, drum brakes and (probably) manual steering. You're going to have to market the good points on the car to get a good price. Otherwise, many may look at it as, at most, a $4K car until they know for sure what it needs or doesn't need.

I bought a '67 like this from North Carolina a few years ago and I paid about what you are asking but the car didn't have a vinyl top, which was a point in it's favor. It also had A/C added and body side moldings. The main selling point, though, was no rust (and pictures to prove it) and it was a numbers-matching car. Your ad needs to bring out those value points, if they apply to your car.

Here is a picture of the car I'm describing. It's the same color combo as yours but without the vinyl top:

7F91C609722-020A.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. Points well taken. Thanks for the feedback.
About the undercarriage, without the photos, all I can say is, it is 98%+ rusty free. It has always been a SF bay area car (no ice, no salt).
Options wise...yes, its pretty much thee most basic model. no P/S, no A/C, no nothin'.
And the #s match.
So sounds like $5500 is high. I'll be inching the price down.
I used to drive it as an every-day car ('87-'95) but I returned to my dad shortly after I graduated college, 15+ years ago now.
He hasn't really done anything with it since then except keep it in the garage.
He's almost 75 year old now and he's got something like 7 registered vehicles (you probably know the type!). This is the one probably with the most collector value. I'm trying to convince him its time to let it go since neither of us are doing anything with it. $5500 was his #, not mine.
I'm keeping an eye on the '68 Cougar currently on ebay (see other thread). Now at $2700 with 4 days to go. I watched the seller vid on youtube. Not to take anything away from his Cougar but I would have say to our Cougar is a few notches above that one. We'll have to see what the winning bid is.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Craig, don't forget that the eBay car is being sold by John Benoit of Cascade Classics. He has an established reputation within the Cougar community and may pull a higher price because people will trust what he says about the car. You'll want to consider that when you determine the next price point on your car.

·
11,000 Posts
Craig your car looks really nice. I don't think $5500 is out of line. I do recommend that you advertise it on eBay if you want top dollar.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think it's a very fair price. That's what I paid for mine, it has no vinyl top, 289 2v c-4. Mine would really benefit if it had new paint and interior. I've second guessed myself since I bought it. It is very original, 'cept for the paint. It has some quarter size holes in the quarters. When you started adding up the parts on the wish list, it adds up quickly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts