Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys

just found a 68 cougar for sale.....i think its a xr7 car
302 2v auto....maroon with black int...real solid car but has set for the past 4 years covered up....its all there and hasent run for 3 years and the brakes are stuck...no rust and the od says it has 72000 miles
whats it worth?
i have 69's and havent priced the early years

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Regardless of what condition it's in, it hasn't been run in years, the brakes are seized, and the motor is no doubt in need of a rebuild.

You'll end up spending 10-15 grand getting it back to premium condition, if that's your intention. My own rule is that unless it's a "special" car (ie. XR7G, GT, calypso coupe, big block, eliminator, etc) I wouldn't even bother. I'd rather go spend that 10-15 grand on a complete or semi-complete "special" car...

$1000... MAYBE $1500... If he wants more than that, tell him to fix the brakes and get it roadworthy then he could ask for more if the body is in that good of shape.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Logan,

I like to think of myself as the ultimate source for Cougar Trivia, but you've stumped me. What the hell is a Calypso Coupe?

Just curious...

Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok
i just looked it over in the light
its not a xr7
it is very solid 1 owner the person that now has it just got it from probate court through a will....the car is red with black int very nice shape all orig no tears or signs of wear on any seats the dash is perfect and the trim is good shape.....
302 2v does turn over and i got it to roll....
still has the org tires on the ground
how does $700.00 sound?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
fatcat: Based on what you just said, I'd probably pick it up for that kinda money. Worse comes to worse, you could part it out and get your money back + a bit... Good Luck man!

jdalu: A Calypso Coupe is a Southwestern regionally marketed 69 Standard Coupe. They were all competition orange with black interiors (I believe decor's with eliminator high backs, I'll have to check). They all had the words "Calypso Coupe" in the Mercury chrome script on the B pillar over the rear quarter, right where an XR7 medallion would be located. Memory serves, they also were treated to the blacked out grille and tails...

Mercury dealers did a bunch of regional spinoffs like that, but the calypso was most likely the most extravagant of all the efforts.

Somewhere in my archives, I've got the whole set of details on the calypso, and some pics of a few known restored ones... I'll see if I can dig em up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks, Logan-

Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all

the cat will be in the drive with in a few days
its to solid of a car to part out that for sure, so it looks like i have more work to do after the 69 is done...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts