Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after doing A LOT of research I found out that the old Porche 356C used the same sunroof setup made by Golde/ASC and the cables are the same as our Cougars that Ford used!

The good thing is that there is a company that makes these Porche cables for cheap! $295US for the new pair!!! I will let everyone know how they work out for me when they come in a few days. Cheers, Chris.

The email from the company:

Hello Chris, <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = [default] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40 NS = "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" /><o:p></o:p>

Re: sun roof cables for Mercury Cougar

As far as we know our cables can be used on the Cougar, specifically the XR-7. <o:p></o:p>

Ford numbers are C8WY-65502B20-A and - B.<o:p></o:p>

Our part number for the pair of cables is: NLA-564-633-50-634 $295.00 See http://www.nlaparts.com/store/sunroof-cables-p-3352.html

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
How about the felts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Holy cow, they have the felts too!!! Great score!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Okay, I worked on developing these cables with these guys. I did all of the test fitting and comparison with the originals for the Cougar sunroof. Unless they fixed it the plastic inserts on the slide end are a little to thick for the Cougar. At any rate they stopped communicating with me and owe me for a few sets of cables that I took apart to help get these done. Here are a couple of pics to show some of the development work I did.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okay, I worked on developing these cables with these guys. I did all of the test fitting and comparison with the originals for the Cougar sunroof. Unless they fixed it the plastic inserts on the slide end are a little to thick for the Cougar. At any rate they stopped communicating with me and owe me for a few sets of cables that I took apart to help get these done. Here are a couple of pics to show some of the development work I did...
Sonsabeotches!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bill, are you saying that if they didn't address the plastic insert issue these cables will not work on a Cougar?

Or would it be possible to modify (sand? Whittle? :)) those inserts.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The two problems with the cables when I last heard from them were that the plastic slider that is inserted inside the end piece is too thick and binds up on the aluminum rail. I destroyed a couple of original cables to remove the plastic parts (they are very brittle after 40 plus years!) to see if they would fit. While not a perfect fit they can be made to work. The second problem is the Porsche version is longer than the Cougar version. This was problem in that the back end of the aluminum track is typically filled with hardened old grease. You may have problems getting the cable in all of the way and the roof then won't go all of the way closed if I am remembering this correctly. The cable itself must not be allowed to kink. The version they had would kink and the kink then had to be very carefully straightened out or it will bind when it goes through the gear box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts