Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased my dream car a 1968 cougar. But in my steering it is acting a little different. When driving down the road it grabs ruts really bad. I will be turning the steering wheel and before you know it will dive into the corner and when you go to counter steer you over correct. I was told to try and alignment 1st And if that does not work to replace the control valve. Has anyone ever ran across this and how did you correct it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have recently purchased my dream car a 1968 cougar. But in my steering it is acting a little different. When driving down the road it grabs ruts really bad. I will be turning the steering wheel and before you know it will dive into the corner and when you go to counter steer you over correct. I was told to try and alignment 1st And if that does not work to replace the control valve. Has anyone ever ran across this and how did you correct it?
You need to watch WCCC, West Coast Classic Cougar, video on how to diagnose steering issues as there is no one answer without digging in one step at a time.
Also, it is never going to steer like the new rack systems that all cars have now!
One of the joys of driving vintage, it's a piece of technical history that we are preserving..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts