Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Its me with the issues. Car shakes on acceleration,shakes on Idle with gas is pushed, and A lil bit while coasting. But in nuetral coast its smooth like the wind. Did alot of research and came up with Maybe the motor mounts. Someone said any 351w motor mounts will do. But for the record i have a 68 cougar with a 74 windsor. dont know what the previus owner did. He did alot of wrong. i was looking at some 69 cougar mounts since they came with 351w. Is it true. Will any work?i think the original motor was a 289..thanx all

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way..it has new plugs, wires, distributor, cap rotor and the base adapter. timing is right on with gun.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If your motor mounts are broken the engine will raise up when under a load. The last time I broke a motor mount the fan blades chewed up the radiator shroud. What transmission is in the car? Does the engine rev smoothly?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the tranny i dont know...but i will find out...and no it doesnt rev..it will revv then shutter/shake a little at idle....9like a strong vroom!!!!then at the tail end shake shutter a lil.then return back to normal idle.not real bad though. If that makes sense. ive read maybe the wrong mounts or the torque converter? Come to think about it. It also shift into 3rd a lil slow under heavy load..but shifts smooth while cruising into 3rd. If that has anything to help diagnose!!!! thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay i went under the car and my drivers side mount looks like mush compared to the passenger side. Ive researched my butt off to find the correct 351w mount. I bought one and it looks correct to attach to the engine but the rubber part is not thick like the one thats on the car...So my question is...is there another part that i need....Ive read about something called a insulator....or to make it simple can anyone reccomend a part number for a motor mount for a 68 cougar coupe with a 1974 351 windsor? Thanks in advance. I have pics but im at work and cant post right now.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Test it first by having your buddy watch the motor while you put in in gear wih foot on the brake and just giver a a bit of gas. (mother in law can stand directly in front... LOL) if the motor raises up more than an inch on the drivers side - you probably have a broken mount. It's usually quite obvious. The 302 and the 351W are the same block except the W is 1" taller which doesn't affect the mounts - so 302 or 289 mounts with work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Will do...dont have a mother in law..but i know a few ppl..lol i posted some pics too...so the experts can see....My Pax side My driver Side what i bought Driver side again.....Excuse the newbee for saying....See Its not enough rubber in between..lol

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did look under the top radiator hose and it looks like the fan scrapes it a little bit.guessing from revving the engine..The new motor mounts looks like if i put them on itll scrape the bottom hose cause the motor would sit lower.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
So did you get rid of "chuck Berry" > whole lotta shakin' goin on? Looks like you needed the mount since the rubber was missing....hard to tell why though. looks like it was modded by somebody intentionally. Wonder if they just quick fixed it or had clearance issues?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'm back!!!! Feel real stupid. Lol. It was the motor mount on the drivers side. I spent weeks researching on with mounts and ended up being the plane ole regular 10$ mounts. Lol. Mine was so jacked up it threw me off. Plus I was looking at the adapter too. But when I put the new one up to the ole one. Walla!!!! Too me about 2hrs total to do it. And when I say she runs 100% better. I will post a pick of the old one when I get a chance. Thanks all. This one ended up being simple but the newbee in me made it hard. Now she accelerates like she's supposed withought a San Francisco earthquake. Lol. Now off to figure out why when I accelerate hard. Carb pops. Thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts