1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not being a expert on 68 Cougar conditions, this looks to me to be a great car for someone. If I had it, it would certainly be updated suspension, engine, tranny wise. What a nice sleeper it would make. I like the colors, but would prefer saddle interior. Even a saddle top would be nice.

Wonder what it will go for?

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Neat car, what a time capsule. Vintage, but not 'Cougar' floor matts though.

AM/FM, style steel wheels (all 5), and console, but drum brakes and manual steering?

San Jose, leap day Cougar too, 29B.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Note the factory white grease pencil marking behind the fuel filler door. I have a San Jose built Augusta Green '68 standard that had the same marking on it when I got it back in 1993. It is a nice, clean, older car. With a bit of detailing/cleaning, it would be an even nicer car than it is now.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just down the road from me if someone wants me to inspect it for them.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Would any of you use this car to "rebody" a CJ car or GTE?
disclaimer - Rebodying is illegal. :wave:

I would suspect that a San Jose built car may have construction variances from a Dearborn Cougar. Pretty sure that all 1968 R code, and positive that all GT-E's were built in Dearborn.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
disclaimer - Rebodying is illegal. :wave:

I would suspect that a San Jose built car may have construction variances from a Dearborn Cougar. Pretty sure that all 1968 R code, and positive that all GT-E's were built in Dearborn.
I guess I chose the wrong word or term. We've talked here about people buying perfectly good rust free cars in order to completely part them out and fix up a rarer version of the same car. I didn't mean just swap VIN#'s or anything like that.
maybe I should have asked "would anyone here destroy this car to save another?"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I wouldn't destroy this car to save another...it would easily clean up quite nicely, from what I can see in the photos. This is one of the lowest mileage cars I've seen lately, and they're only original once! And, I don't know the answer to the GTE question, but can tell you that both my '68 San Jose built cars do/did have some quality control issues. At least on the project car we fixed them; on my other car, it is too original to "fix" and makes it a bit unique.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
To me it would be a perfect car as a base for my restomod fantasy.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Everyone here know how little it takes for me to get out the torches and even I know when to leave something alone. This is one of those rare circumstances where I would leave it just like it is.
Yep. There are plenty of cars that have been raped, hot rodded, or parted out for cash.
This one is a survivor without the term being an eBay embellishment.

Plenty of heaps out there to play with. No need to take a pristine one like this and do the flavor of the month stuff to it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with Don and Andy. There just aren't many unrestored, un-F%(#ed with survivors out there. I'd detail it a bit, and maybe replace some of the aftermarket items (hose clamps, hoses, etc...) with correct repop parts, but I'd try not to change anything that was still original on the car. It would be a shame to ruin such an unusual and rare old cat by modifying it or cutting it apart.

Although I have to admit, if I came across a 68 with a nicely restored parchment XR-7 interior at a reasonable price, I'd be tempted to swap it for the black interior in my R-code so I could return my car to its as-built appearance. I just don't think I could do that to an original car like the one that is the subject of this topic.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This car reminds me of a 68 standard around Tacoma I posted a while back. it had 70k on the clock. You can tell that the Electroplated chrome around the bezels had not seen the light of day in quiet a while. This car is a true example of a barn find. I would detail it up and get some mercury man center caps and drive it as is. The value is the preservation of the car. And it hasn't been hacked up. full documentation.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Everyone here know how little it takes for me to get out the torches and even I know when to leave something alone. This is one of those rare circumstances where I would leave it just like it is.
But what if, say, a 428 XR7-G badly needing a restoration suddenly came on the market?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts