Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cracked gauge lens in my '68 Cougar. I have a new one, but before I take the dash apart I was hoping someone would be able to explain the process of removing the gauge lens. It's the lens for the (oil, amps, temp, and fuel).

Much appreciated,
Nate

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nate, since you're talking gauges, I take it, it's for an XR-7. Once you have the instrument cluster removed from the dash. 1st, remove the square wiper knob with a hex key, unscrew the tripometer button on the front and then the 9 screws on the back of the metal gauge cluster from the plastic instrument panel. Once it's seperated there are 3 screws on the back of the plastic instrument cluster for each gauge lense. Remove the screws, metal cover and then the lense will come out. One note, if it's the lense for the oil gauge, the lenses is square and not round like the other 3 lenses (I just took the back part of my gauge off myself), the lense is the size of the gauge itself. John

·
Registered
565 Posts
Before you open the case I would give each screw a drop of machine oil and let it penetrate a bit. The plastic case and consequently the holes where the screws go into can be brittle. The screws can be sticky. A little oil might keep the plastic from breaking when you start unscrewing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts