Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here and would like to ask a question. I decoded my data tag and buck tag and the realitive info matched up such as ser.# body type trim paint so I know there both from the same car (you know how that can happen when a door gets changed and someone dont keep the tag) My question is the buck tag has no mention of a vinyl roof color or the sun roof as a 70 cougar does is it suposed to. My cat has a sunroof but no cloth top other options are as follows power steering,remote mirror,power brakes,am-8track,tilt wheel and AC there's a capitol B stamped sideways at the bottom of the tag dont know what that is. Vinyl top could have been removed from my car I havent had headliner apart yet to look at inside of sunroof. Thought it was kind of kool car was originally gold with light nugget gold interior havent seen another gold on gold

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes, the '68 bucktag would have the color of the vinyl roof, if the car originally came with it. Since the sunroofs were not installed at the factory, but rather at American Sunroof, the buck tag would not show that. The other letters and numbers, stamped at or near the bottom, and usually at a 90 degree angle refer to the dragline and the routing of the car within the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
If your car was a true factory sunroof car it would have been delivered with a vinyl top. The vinyl top was required with the sunroof option in all 1968 Cougars. Post a couple clear, close shots of the sunroof and we can tell you if it's original style or not. As you probably know, the Marti Report will tell you for sure how the car was originally equipped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sunroof 002.jpg sunroof 004.jpg sunroof 008.jpg Ok here is a couple shots I went ahead and pulled the inside panel off . whit merc 020.jpg e ring around outside is not white. flash made it show up that way for some reason is really a thin black sealer found broken cable while looking around merc 009.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Everything I see points to an original style sunroof, including the top control switch which is how the sunroof was controlled on all non-XR7G Cougars. Next step is the Marti report to verify whether or not it came that way originally or if someone replaced the roof structure or added the sunroof later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I ordered a service procedures manual for the sun roof. I may try to get cables and fix it if everything else is in working order. Looks like somebody put new rubber seal on but doesnt look like right seal probably why it has sealer on it. Its a nice car so having it work can only make it better.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The seals were not originally rubber. They were fuzzy like those on either side of the door glass channel. Cables are available but expensive and somewhat hard to find. I paid $400 for the last set of NOS ones I bought a few years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts