Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 standard Cougar that back around 1980 was restored and it appears that the owner "upgraded" the dash to the XR-7 wood and gauges. Looks nice. However, it looks like possibly that the controls on the driver side vent may be non-A/C as I was told that one of the dash switches turns on the A/C. How do you tell if the controls are for an A/C version?

Also, the A/C does not blow cold but the car has also sat for a lot of years. Since it was set up for R-12 am I going to need to commit to an R-134 conversion?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If the controls say from top to bottom max ,fresh,heat and def then it is for AC, if no max then non AC ,you can recharge with R12 after checking system for leaks or switch to R 134 whichever is cheapest for you. Edit, when you put the leaver in max and turn on the blower, that engages the compressor.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
When you come to the party we can take a look and see what you have and what you need. I have seen more than one car where they put the non AC controls on the back side of the AC style vent. It can be done but the labels don't match up at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Towcat - I looked and the control knobs are all correct for A/C. I guess I'm a little thrown by the reference by the guy I purchased it from stating that the left light switch on the dash turns on the compressor. It seems that at some time the dash was replaced with an XR-7 dash and with no upper console there are no left and right lights. I'm getting heat but little fan when set for warm. I set everything for A/C with the knob on Max and I really can't tell if it is just blowing cool outside air or is somewhat cool. I do notice a sound from the engine compartment when I throw the left light switch. It doesn't quite sound like a compressor clutch engaging though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill - I appreciate that. I'm going to need to prioritize the fixes so the more I understand what I actually have the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts