Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the control valve from WCCC that began leaking in (2) different places 2 months after install and about 100 mi. of driving. The new one went in fine , a couple of test drives , still fine. The new valve has much more of a stiff feel to it, about 30%, I spoke to the rebuild guy and he said that there can be variances depending on the condition of the spool etc... He assured me that all was good, and stressed Napa trans. fluid over everything else out there? I don't mind this new stiff feel in the wheel, and not feeling the road as much, but I have a feeling I got another bad one. The rest of the steering system has all been replaced and is in good working order. Was this unit adjusted tighter than the other? Has anybody experienced this? Do I have another bad unit? Any help would be great.

PB

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just replaced the control valve from WCCC that began leaking in (2) different places 2 months after install and about 100 mi. of driving. The new one went in fine , a couple of test drives , still fine. The new valve has much more of a stiff feel to it, about 30%, I spoke to the rebuild guy and he said that there can be variances depending on the condition of the spool etc... He assured me that all was good, and stressed Napa trans. fluid over everything else out there? I don't mind this new stiff feel in the wheel, and not feeling the road as much, but I have a feeling I got another bad one. The rest of the steering system has all been replaced and is in good working order. Was this unit adjusted tighter than the other? Has anybody experienced this? Do I have another bad unit? Any help would be great.

PB
my steering was also very tight after i had the valve rebuilt. but part of that was due to adjusting the steering box before the rebuild when everything was so loose. that adjustment did tighten up some of the slop, but when the new valve went in, everything was TOO tight. backing off the adjusting nut on the box got it back to normal. for the '70 Cougar, i needed a 11/16" deep socket to loosen the nut, and a regular screwdriver to back off the adjustment. i did about 1/4 turn at a time and then test drove it. you might try that-

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I too made the steering box adjustment. I actually like the tighter feel, perhaps it will break in a little. I do know for sure that the first control valve was a bad rebuild, the rebuild guy insist that if it's not a specific Napa transmission fluid the valve will leak. I'm sorry but I really don't believe that bull**** 100%. Any decent f type trans. fluid will work just fine. A leak causes a leak, not the fluid. If I took my car to a shop that has done work on my car in the past, do you think that they would use this specific Napa fluid, no thay would use an f type fluid and guarantee the work. Do your own research in these matters, and get more than one opinion. Some of these guys think that they are legends in their own mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts