Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my spoiler down to my body guy of 40 plus years to have installed the other day. After a few hours of messing around trying to get it to fit he came to the conclusion that it was garbage.
Has anybody out there purchased a Chin spoiler from wccc for their 67 or 68 where it actually fit without having to cut it in half, install it, then do a bunch of bull **** patch work? I would really like to know because I was told that they sell a bunch of these spoilers and it was'nt even close to fitting my car. Your input would be helpful.

Thanks
PB

·
Registered
980 Posts
1970 Cougar Resto 009.jpg

Jeeze, I bought mine from them and it was a nice one (fiberglass), I did have to use my heat gun to mould it at the corners a little. Other than that, I am extremely happy with it and them. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I notice that your Cougar is a '70, which of course had a factory chin spoiler available.

Not so in '68 which may account for poor fit on PBCOUG's car?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good catch Phillip, The question is still not answered about the 68 spoiler. Hey Don?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Not a good fit but look good once installed (as long as you do not get on your hands and knees). I too would like to hear from one of the many on this site who have purchased it from myself or another vendor. There is only one version that is sold to 6 vendors I know of.

<center> </center>

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have one for the 67 i am working on I put it up to the car two different times and cannt figure out how that would ever fit with out cutting and sectioning it...I just thought the PO had ordered the wrong one but it is just like that picture....I bought one for my 70 that was plastic from Kens cougar' s and it fit perfect...I wonder how they fir on mustangs?

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is no comparison between the two.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
PB I remember reading here a few years ago about a chin spoiler from (I think ?) a Camaro or some Chevy that someone used on a 67-68 Cougar and seemed to fit nicely. Also read then about the one you have and the fitment issues involved. I was thinking about buying one too at the time and decided to just move on. Maybe try a search here?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I to am moving on with a wallet that is lighter now do to the shipping cost to and from. I would rather have given the $40.00 to a charity. Not happy!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see the red cougar you are talking about, the photo is too dark to to get a good idea. Thanks for looking out tho. Unless I can make it almost perfect I will drop the idea. As a business owner myself, I would'nt push items like this unless all the pros and cons are put out there for all to see. I would also be prepared to give a full refund including shipping, otherwise your going to loose loyal customers .

·
Registered
749 Posts
My front spoiler is the black plastic 67-68 Camaro spoiler. I like it - it is the look I was going for. Prior to getting it, I read many, many threads on here about how hard it is to get the 67-68 air dam/chin spoiler to fit on our cars from people who have tried, so I opted not to even go there - more money than I wanted to spend on the spoiler, and more time/effort than I wanted to spend installing it. I always do a search on here to gain the wisdom of others before I try doing something to my car, and found many that expressed frustration about the air dam that is supposedly made for our cars. This website has saved me countless hours and headaches and skinned knuckles, I am sure of that, as I learn from others experiences! The Camaro spoiler was cheap enough for me to give it a try, and if it didn't work, well, then I really wasn't out too much. (Figured I'd just give it to my friend who has a 68 Camaro if it didn't work for me.) It fits great, and I like the look. Yes, it is a piece of plastic. No, it probably doesn't help performance. I'm okay with that. It's my car and I do it the way I want and let others worry that it isn't "original." (I've had people want to argue that my paint isn't quite the original shade of maroon, or black cherry or whatever the heck it's called... and I don't really care because I like the color that I picked!)

As we all know, there was no front spoiler for the 67-68 Cougars, so no matter what you get, if you decide to get a front spoiler, you have to expect to do some work to make it fit (heck, seems like the parts that even did come on my car take some work to make them fit half of the time!) Best looking front spoiler on a 67-68 Cougar is Local Hero's hands down. Yet, I can only imagine how many hours and how much effort went into making it look so awesome. That's just not in my budget or skill-set at this time. I encourage all Cougar owners to use the "search" feature above to research the experience of others before purchasing any aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That's a great looking Cougar! Thanks for the spoiler info. I like the look and dig the hood scoop too. Very nice!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thanks! If anybody wants to join me on the "dark side" (ha ha) and use a Camaro spoiler on their 67-68 Cougar, here's some things I learned along the way with this little experiment. For starters, I was pleased to find that the 67-68 spoiler is just the right length. Note: the 69 Camaro spoilers are listed separately, so there must be something different about them, but I don't know what is different. You will find that the Camaro spoiler is much more "V" shaped than the front of our cars though. What I did was found the middle of the spoiler and the middle of the front valance and began attaching the spoiler from the middle out to ends, alternating between left and right as I worked out from the center. The plastic is flexible enough to be coaxed onto the flatter front end of our cars. I used sheet metal screws with a hex head, and drilled a small pilot hole for each screw. The screws I got came with a felt-backed metal washer for each screw. My thinking at the time was that I wanted it to sort of have the ability to be break-away if I should happen to pull into a parking space with a curb and have the spoiler hit. If it holds too well, I would end up tweaking and possibly mangling the front valance and that would be a costly error. These plastic Camaro spoilers are so cheap, I really wouldn't mind if it got mangled. As it turned out, I did pull into a parking spot and hit it on the curb and it performed just as I planned - no damage to the valance but it did pull out the holes on the spoiler. Other than that, the spoiler and the valance were just fine. I just made some bigger "washers" out of flat metal bar to cover over the now bigger holes and reiinstalled it, and it is good to go again. It fits very tight and flush with the bottom of the valance, but I also added a thin strip of adhesive backed foam weatherstripping to the top surface of the mounting flange of the spoiler, just to give it a good seal between the spoiler and valance with no gaps. If I were to decide to just not have the spoiler on there anymore, the small holes from the mounting screws are so far underneath on the bottom edge of the front valance that you would never know a spoiler was there when it is not installed unless you lay on your back and slide under the car like you would if you were changing the oil (And, by the way, the front spoiler does make changing the oil a little trickier if you're like me and just do that in the driveway without a lift!) In carefully controlled laboratory wind tunnel tests, the spoiler has remained solidly intact and in place even at speeds well in excess of 85-90 miles per hour. I say "wind tunnel tests" because obviously I wouldn't be out on the road going that fast, right!?!?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Oh, and I just thought of one more thing - I used several c-clamps to hold it all in place during that first installation so that I could check and recheck and recheck and recheck alignment again and again and then to drill the pilot holes and put in the screws and continue to check alignment along the way.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just might join you on the dark side.....you never know. Those are very affordable and run $30-40 from most vendors including Goodmark. Anyway thanks again for all the info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts