Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to install a front spoiler on the coug to compiment the hood scoop. What would be the best color, same as the car, flat black, or gloss black. Does anybody have good photos? Can anybody who has done the install on a 67/68 tell me their story. How was the fit, was there any shaping involved, were there big gaps? Any info would help my body guy.

Thanks
PB

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm thinking of adding one to my 69 and I wanted to go with the same color as the body. Local Hero's is like that and I think it looks awesome. From what I've read before he probably has some good stories to tell since I think his took forever to get the way he wanted it. I'm sure your body would appreciate the help. Plus that would probably lessen the impact on your wallet if he knew what he was in for ahead of time.

Ben

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In order to have the local hero look, it looks as if there will be a lot of sanding and cutting involved in order to get the spoiler to sit flush with the valance . I assume the spoiler bolts to the face of the valance rather than the bottom, and if so, do these bolts help to pull in the gaps?. It looks like the bumper guards may have to be adjusted, or more shaping around the cut outs.

Thanks,
PB

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I know this question may be silly, but is this front spoiler stiff enough to be functional (say at 100+MPH) or is it purely cosmetic?

·
Registered
457 Posts
All spoilers are functional on different degrees, even if there made of plastic, fiberglass or sheet metal it wont bend unless your valance bends. All it does if stop air from traveling under the car thus improving the handling. A rear spoiler works as a weight on the rear end as the car increases in speed. Go for it dude it looks cool!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Stiff enough to plow dirt. Seriously...... after having to take the Hero off the side of an exit ramp one time to avoid an accident. The front spoiler dug in and ripped out a huge chuck of turf before I was able to get it stopped. Other than a paint chip, it was no worse for wear.

Yes, it was a TON of work to get it to that point. It came in fiberglass and was extremely flimsy. It fit horribly. We cut it into about four pieces and cut and trimmed each of those to get it to fit the valance like it does. Each piece is bolted up through the bottom. The bolts are spaced less than two inches a part all the way across. Flat bar stock acts as a continuous washer all the way across as well. Once it was bolted up nice and tight, several layers of fiberglass matting were laid over the top to mould it in. I cannot remember (this was 1981) how many layers but it was at least 3 or 4. It was finished and painted the body color because it is truely part of the car now. I always feel scoops and spoilers and air dams should be body color so they look like they were meant to be there rather than a bolted on afterthought.

The price of coolness always has it downsides.... The first is yes, it's low and you have to be careful going in and out of steep driveways. Second is that since it's molded in, the entire front clip, minus the hood, is now one piece. God help me if I ever have to remove a fender. And last, the tubular bumper brackets that angle out to the corners of the bumper need to get modified so that the bumper can be installed with the valance already in place.

Other than all that... it's a piece of cake. LOL!

EDIT: My car never had bumper guards but there were reliefs in the original spoiler to allow for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts