Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New guy here. I finally drug the '68 302 J-code w/C4 into the garage to get it running after owning it for 13 years. Yeah, I know. Anyhow, I'm replacing the C4 with a 4-speed toploader to emulate the car that I had in high school - stolen shortly after graduating in '79. My question: Do I need a '68 model year specific shifter? I know the '67 and earlier had different measurements for the shifter handle. I'm going with the stock '68 shifter handle with the round reverse lockout. Is there a shifter repro out there? Thanks.

P.S. The car that was stolen was a factory pink (repainted midnight blue) with a factory 4-spd and 302 2V, black vinyl top, all emblems removed, bench seat, black interior. It was stolen from in front of what is now the White River Amphitheatre (Muckleshoot Indian Reservation) in between Auburn and Enumclaw in Washington State. I'm still looking for it after all these years. The only picture I have of it is below...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
New guy here. I finally drug the '68 302 J-code w/C4 into the garage to get it running after owning it for 13 years. Yeah, I know. Anyhow, I'm replacing the C4 with a 4-speed toploader to emulate the car that I had in high school - stolen shortly after graduating in '79. My question: Do I need a '68 model year specific shifter? I know the '67 and earlier had different measurements for the shifter handle. I'm going with the stock '68 shifter handle with the round reverse lockout. Is there a shifter repro out there? Thanks.

P.S. The car that was stolen was a factory pink (repainted midnight blue) with a factory 4-spd and 302 2V, black vinyl top, all emblems removed, bench seat, black interior. It was stolen from in front of what is now the White River Amphitheatre (Muckleshoot Indian Reservation) in between Auburn and Enumclaw in Washington State. I'm still looking for it after all these years. The only picture I have of it is below...

Sorry to hear that, and welcome to the site! Do you have the vin # still? if so, post it here and you may get help to find it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no VIN. The title got tossed out sometime over the years. I do remember the plate number though - BLN 216. I tried a few years back to find out the VIN through the WA DMV but they said they only keep records for six years on unregistered vehicles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
To better answer your question, what did the trans. come out of, different cars had long & short tail-shafts and locations were in different spots. I always go for the Hurst shifters when in doubt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To better answer your question, what did the trans. come out of, different cars had long & short tail-shafts and locations were in different spots. I always go for the Hurst shifters when in doubt.
The toploader came out of a '68 Mustang. The trans I bought is coming with the correct bell housing, linkage, and tailshaft. The only item that doesn't appear to be stock is the shifter. At this point I guess I'm looking for a stock shifter and a clutch pedal that is correct for a '68. I'm sure I'll need a few other odds and ends but won't know for sure until I receive the transmission in a couple of weeks. It's taking the barge to Alaska... Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a shifter through Bill Heeley in Maryland. Evidently, he's the man when it comes to Ford shifters...

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Bill Heeley is A1 in my book. Pricey but sells good parts and stands behind them. Along with the shifter you'll need a backup light switch too.
I've done the C4 to toploader swap using factory parts, the toughest piece to find is the 68 clutch pedal. May be reproduced by now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I hear too, Art. The clutch pedal is about the only thing I haven't nailed down yet. Scott Drake makes a repro '67-'68 compatible pedal but I read that it requires modification for a '68. I plan on calling them to get details. I don't want a mickey-mouse set-up. The back-up switch is enroute. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
In 68 the column is collapsible and a little larger in diameter. Big vise and BFH should have it working like OEM. Ask Don at WCCC (West Coast Classic Cougar) if he has a good used one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts