Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 68 with the original 289 2v C code, I haven't found the VIN number on the engine block yet. But I have almost every bill ever spent on the car form the original owners including the bill of sale, and the date codes all match on the engine and carb tags. From what I can find this was a change in January 68 for the standard cougars to the 289 instead of the 302. My question is my car has all the decor option group parts except the door panels and back seat arm rests. To make my car even a little more different it has the wood grain insert on the steering wheel like an XR7. Has anyone ever come across a car with this type of interior and odd features. I haven't ordered a Marti report yet but the more I learn about my car the more I'm tempted to order the elite report just to see what it says my car should have for options.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I own a late production (17U, July 17, 1968) '68 standard car built in San Jose that is also equipped with a standard interior and 289 (2V) engine. I have never seen or heard of a car like yours that was 100% known to be original. To me, it's unlikely that your car was built exactly as it is equipped today, and much more likely that someone has changed a few things along the way. After all, it is 44 years old! You might be able to shed some light on the situation by providing the trim code and build date for your car. And, though I'm a great advocate of ordering a Marti report, it would not provide an answer to this question, as the reports do not delve into this level of build detail. A Marti report would tell you exactly what day your car was built, though. If your car has a standard interior, the code will start with either a 1 (i.e., 1A for standard black interior) or A (i.e., AA, parchment standard interior with black appointments). And the change in equipment that you mention was stated to occur in factory literature 1/1/68, which deleted the woodgrain (rim) steering wheel, roof rail padding, rear armrests, padding in the front seat-back knee area, and rocker panel moldings. These items were added to the Decor Group option, and continued to be standard on the XR-7.

From your description, it sounds like your car has a standard interior with decor seats, roof rail padding, and an XR-7 type woodgrain insert on the steering wheel pad. Is that correct, and is it equipped with rocker panel moldings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The date plate on my door says 28B for a date, which correct me if I'm wrong should be Feb 28th, 1968. I also should have mentioned my trim code since that is part of the puzzle it is 1BB. I know 1B is light blue crinkle vinyl but the second B has always confused me. I did find another post on one of these forums saying a third digit denoted a change from the interior package. Just for the record I have owned this car since 1993 and have not changed any of the interior. When I bought it from the original owners I received a binder full of bills and there is no interior work listed anywhere in these bills.

As far as the decor option group, the only pieces my car is missing is the door panels and the back sear arm rests. It had the rocker panel moldings, but I didn't put them back on in 1994 when we did the body work because they were in bad shape, I would like to get another set someday to replace them. I don't understand what you mean by padding in the front seat back knee area. Is that the back of the front seats are padded, which I think mine are. My car also has the woodgrain rim steering wheel and the the roof rail padding, along with the XR7 wood grain insert in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You are correct, 28B is a scheduled build date of February 28th, 1968. Your trim code is also interesting -- it does denote a standard (1) blue (B) interior. The second B denotes a minor trim variation. I understand from Kevin Marti that a "minor" trim variation is something like slightly different upholstery materials, like a different welting size or slightly different pattern to vinyl, or in the case of an early Mark III, it can denote the type of fake wood used. In other words, nothing like how your car is equipped, which sounds like a hybrid of the two (or three!) interior types. After what you mentioned regarding your length of ownership, it may be that you have a bit of an "oddball" car. Remember, they were coming off the end of the line at one a minute, so they all weren't perfect. My '68 has two build flaws itself -- only one rocker panel molding was installed, and the kick panels don't match. And I know that they are build flaws, as the car has had a very easy life, has most of it's original paint, has always been garaged, and I bought it from the second owner, who told me these were flaws pointed out by the original owner that he purchased the car from.

The front seat back padding would refer to extra padding on the trim panel on the front seat back that faces the rear passengers -- their knees would hit it if they were thrown forward during a sudden stop.

My only suggestion would be to contact Kevin Marti, order the Deluxe Report, and ask him if he can tell you exacltly what trim code 1BB means. I would be curious to know what he can tell you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
I ordered a Deluxe Marti Report the other day for my car, and it showed up this afternoon. The report lists my interior as 1BB which is correct to my data plate, but doesn't shed any light on what it means. The report lists it as Light Blue Standard Buckets.

Other options listed are:
Canadian Spring Promotion
Non-Emission
C-4 Merc-O-Matic
E70X14 Wide oval tires
White Sidewall Tires
Rocker Panel Moldings
Power Steering
Power Disc Brakes
Immersion Heater
AM Radio
Heavy Duty Battery
Door Edge Gaurds

Most of these I knew, a few surprised me like the battery and the Canadian Spring Promotion. Does anyone know what that is?

Thanks for the help and info.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Sjovolde, in regards to locating the VIN on your block, here's a link to a photo of my VIN to my car on the back of my block just past the intake manifold: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/album.php?albumid=346&attachmentid=21414 . Also, I was looking in CBTNs and on page #124, it has "Promotion Names or Special Color" but it doesn't list any info about a Canadian Spring Promotion (I'm not saying there isn't anything about it since it's listed on your Marti Report). Good luck on looking for the VIN. :) John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
68Puma, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the VIN is stamped on the drivers side of the block is it not?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
68Puma, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the VIN is stamped on the drivers side of the block is it not?
After looking at my block again and taking a better pic, you're correct. Here's another pic. DSC01263.jpg The top part of the pic is where the bell housing would be and to the right of the valley, is where the drivers side head would be. I didn't know that my block was stamped until reading in some Ford magazine about it (I think it was Mustang Monthly & unfortunately I can't find the magazine, DARN) a long time after disassembling it. John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John

Thanks for the information. I went out and took a look after super tonight. I was able to find the VIN stamped on the block behind the intake mainfold once I cleaned off 40 some years of crud. As expected it did match the VIN on the car. I knew the engine was original but it was still nice to find the numbers to prove it.

Evan

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You're welcome Evan. :) John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts