Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 68 with front discs there's something on the proportioning-metering block that seems to go from the top around to the bottom fittings on the rear half of the block. What is it and what does it do. I've never seen one on any other car. Reason I ask is my back brakes arn't doing much and I'm wondering if this could be a part of the problem.
Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If I remember correctly the pre 70 models had an external metering valve that was mounted along the side of the distribution block. It looked like a small cylinder with brake lines at each end attaching it to the distribution block. After 70(?) the valve was built into the distribution block.
If you want some info on how the valve works, what it does, etc check out Master Power Brakes at http://www.mpbrakes.com/VALVING.htm they have some good info there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Brakes

I had the same thing! check if the rubber "o" ring is still good no cracks.make sure you have one.its located in the middle.There i a place up north (Calif) were this guy sell the rebulit kit for $40 all it is a spring, o ring inside and the one outside.. good luck also check for leaks have fun

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update;
According to Kens Cougar parts it's a proportioning valve that's no longer available. What they recomend is installing the Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. What I suspect is mine is plugged or stuck closed and letting very little to the rear. The car has felt funny for a long time, it has a good firm pedal and you can bleed it ok, but it seemed like the rears were week. When I recently replaced the rear axle I switched from 1 3/4'' wide brakes to 2" wide. I replaced everything except the wheel cylinders. Last nite I had it on jackstands and the rear brakes could barely stop the rear wheels from spinning. The park brake works fine. You can get the Wilwood valve is available from Jeggs for $39, might just take a shot at it.
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Hey, take some pix, and do a write up on it, and send it to Logan for a Review article. Sounds like a good idea for a swap since those parts arent available and safety is always a bonus.

Rick

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh... Here's another update, I was at the Mustangs at the Queen Mary show today and I was looking at brake systems. It appears that the valve is used only on 68 and 69s. I stuck my head under a lot of hoods today fiqure that out for sure. 67s and down and 70 and up have just a junction block like a normal car. Beats me why Ford put a proportioning valve added to a junction block on just 68 and 69!!!!!
Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The 68s and 69s you looked at most likely have front disc. Cars with drums all around wouldn't have it. When changing over my fathers's Mstang from 4 drum to FDB I scavaged a couple of valves from the salvage yard. One from a 70 Contintal, One from a 71 Galaxie(?). It isn't original but it works.

·
11,000 Posts
The proportioning valve is available brand new as a reproduction part. Call a reputable dealer such as Auto Krafter or Mustangs Unlimited. They are also available from Master Power Brakes and Stainless Steel Brakes.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did all '68s w/ front discs have the proportioning valve? I don't remember having one on mine... and we changed the power master cylinder twice (the first time NAPA gave us the wrong one).
My rear brakes are not that effective either, but that's because the right-rear brake drum is drenched in axle-oil :(

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
greggie, fix your axle seal soon. Once the pad gets saturated with the oil, and you apply the break, it will lock up when you touch your brakes, the seal is only a few bucks, please do it soon.

Rick

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I will. I'm not driving the car right now. The leak has been around for about 5-6 years now (I've driven it about 200 miles/year during that time)... we saw the leak back then, but just discovered the brake saturation this past September (when I was home). We bought the seals, but the sun had already gone down and my flight back to LA was at 10:30 the next morning :(
That's first priority when it gets here, if I can't convince Dad to do it before he sends it. Of course I will replace the pads too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts