Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When were the shock tower reinforcement plates first used on Cougars? Was it late 68? I am considering buying a 68 X code car and it does not appear to have them. I suppose it is possible that this particular car was built too early in the model year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, propayne. I don't know the build date on this car yet but I assume it is an early car. I just sent the seller a deposit so I guess I am on my way to becoming a first time Cougar owner.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
My '68 GT-E is an early April Build and it does have them..I'm not sure if it is different by engine or by date only?

Welcome to the madness though!

·
11,000 Posts
The reinforced shock towers began to be used in March 1968. I've never seen a big block car made after April that did not have them.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Here is a picture of one off a late 68 390 Cougar.

<center>

And here is one off of a 1969 Cougar. They changed them slightly every year 68-70.

<center>

And 1970

</center>
</center>

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hm, none of those look like my shock towers.

If you can make it out, mine don't wrap around at all. You can see the edges sticking out.

Don, can you tell from my pick if mine have the extra bracing or not?

Over at the SAAC forum they talk about two types; an earlier welded reinforcement and then the later wrap around one. They even mention cars that came thru with bracing on one side and not on the other.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Hm, none of those look like my shock towers.

If you can make it out, mine don't wrap around at all. You can see the edges sticking out.

Don, can you tell from my pick if mine have the extra bracing or not?

Over at the SAAC forum they talk about two types; an earlier welded reinforcement and then the later wrap around one. They even mention cars that came thru with bracing on one side and not on the other.
Yours appear to be the non wrap around version found on all 67's and most 68's

<center></center>

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 68 GT-E has a date code of O8D and does not have the reinforced shock towers, also came with knee pad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts