Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i know that its a costly process to convert a car from auto to standard. (swapping trannies, clutch, pedal, ect. and its usually worth it to just find a manual car. but iv had this cougar for years and would like to keep it around as i am very fond of it. but i was thinking of making it stick. whats a rough bottom line on price including parts and installation and where would be a good place to buy the parts?

thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
All the parts are avalible new. Cougars share the same clutch set up as mustangs. Just be sure to get stuff for a 67/68 as 65/66 and 69/70 are different.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
You have lots of choices 3, 4, 5, 6 speed manuals.
Going to a 3 speed manual would be the cheapest. 6 speed would be the most expensive. A 5 speed conversion with a T-5Z transmission and a cable clutch style conversion is likely cheaper than a 4 speed toploader conversion.
Going to have to change drive shafts no matter what. A third member gear change is in order if you go overdrive.
Do you have disc brakes? now is the time to do that conversion too.
Do you have a console? gonna have to convert that too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right on, i think i want to go with the 4 speed, i dont care if i pay more, but ill play it by ear. other then that im not really fermillar with the parts so should i try and round them up myself or just get the shop to get em? any idea on price? thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts