Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to take my 68 back to the original Augusta Green color. Looking at paint codes I see the following........

Ditzler-PPG 43644 Augusta/Highland green 1968.
and
Dupont 4869L, 4869D and 4869. Augusta/Highland green 1968.

Are these codes correct? Is the L and D after the Dupont numbers mean light and dark? If so were there variations plant to plant? And are both brands pretty close to the factory color? Are there any other brands of paint (HOK?) that look good too? Not sure if I'll do base coat/clear coat or all in one. Suggestions? I was planning to buy 2 gallons so there is plenty for future touchups if needed. Not sure what brand my paint guy is currently using or if he favors one over the other. I'll find out though.

Thanks, Glenn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glenn, I have Dupont 4869F Highland Green 68 on one of my cars. It is the same as Augusta/Highland Green factory color. Car was painted in 04. Not sure if letter code after 4869_ stands for batch or lot. I'm sure some painters will chime in. If you need to see pictures I can e mail to you. John

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My 68 was repainted in 04 in augusta green using a dupont basecoat/clearcoat. The new paint seems a tiny bit more metallic than the original paint inside the trunk but the color is exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I talked to my body guy last night and he still uses Dupont so I'll go with that brand. I'll see if the paint store guys can shed some light on the letter codes.

John yes please send a pic or so I'd like to see the color.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John thanks again for the pics. Your car looks great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts