Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

after noticing the front tire threads wear completely uneven, I sent in my 68 xr7 for an alignment. however after several attempts now my mechanic can not get the camber in. he says it keeps reading 2 degrees off.

any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower control arms are pretty new. They were changed out 2 years ago. Got the parts from Mustang Unlimited.

And the alignment reading is coming out 2 degrees negative to answer doctordesoto question.

Hope this helps. Will be looking at the shock towers once I am back at the shop.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
take it to a different allignment shop !!! if you have 2 deg neg , a real allignment guy would put shims between the shock tower and the upper control arm if the lower ecentric is out of stroke--you shoud be 1/2 to 1 deg neg on the camber---3 to 5 deg of pos caster and i lke a touch of toe out--late model crown vic spec if the guy nees a car to go by
doctordesoto

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also have new lower control arms from MU on my 70. Last summer I had a front allignment, from a old school guy.
My allignment is at the end of the limit, but in spec.
Even with new parts, the quality of the part may not be OEM.
So it may just be the lower arm itself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just a thought, but I took my front "caster bars" or whatever the 2 horizontal bars that point in a "V" to a machine shop and had an 1" of thread added to each side at the ends where the rubber grommet and large nut go. The alignment place told me to do this to get the camber right for the front tires since they were wider then the factory oem setup. This is what i was told and the car's tires never wore uneven after that. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts