Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'e got another project!!!:D Its a 68 standard with a 351w with a 280 comp cam, c4 with a stall canertor and a 3:89 posi. The motor needs some reassembly so thats where I'm at. Does anyone know what headers fit a 68 with a windsor? Is anybody running a 280H comp cam in a windsor? I'm curious of what to expect, I want it to be street drivable so I'm not sure wheather to change the cam or not.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John that 280 sounds like it will like some free flowing heads and some decent compression. Not for the faint of heart everyday driver in my mind. mm

·
Registered
428 Posts
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what are headers?? I know it has something to do with the exhaust manifold thing... :confused:

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I have a reason to pull those old comps of wvcat and put some new ones on that look pretty, thanks Logan. Hey Mark its got ported 70 heads with svo roller rockers and screw in studs and guideplates. Thats pretty close to the specs for the cam I'm running wvcat but I have rhoads lifters in wvcat. Another concern is the stall convertor in the 68, I'm not sure what it is so I might have to pull the trans just to see.:confused:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
John it sounds like it should be pretty healthy then if its at least a 10-1 motor.:D I guess it depends how you want to use it, if it suits you or not.mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's obviously up to you at this stage of the game, but the stall converter wouldn't be worth all the work to take out just to see what it is... perhaps you may be able to tell by looking through the inspection cover... I have a 3500 TCI stall converter in my 68 std., 302 motor, street tires go up in smoke at around 2000 rpm's on a brake stand... I notice no difference during "normal" driving around town. It does NOT allow the engine to rev to the stall rating before engaging.

How does the fluid look? Smell? If it's nice and red and doesn't smell burn't, you're probably OK.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the inspection cover but couldn't see the convertor, it was getting late last night and I didn't want to mess with removing the starter to look from that angle. The trans is supposed to be rebuilt and the fluid is clean as new althought the outside of the trans doesn't look clean. I am going to go a head and reassemble the motor and go from there Mark, I am not the faint at heart when it comes to driving the car with the big cam but it is going to be for sale or trade at some point I just don't know how much I'm going to do before I get rid of it. I don't want to make it where it won't be easy to sell because its not streetable. I would prefer to have a 69 or 70 vert for a project (any takers out there)for a project, you know how it is.
John
wvcat
BTW Gulf, headers are basically long exhaust manifolds, they have more room for the motor to exhaust the spent fuel and increase performance by reducing back pressure on the motor allowing it to breath easier. A motor is a fancy air compressor, if you can let it pump easier it creates more power. (oversimplified of course)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gulf00 said:
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what are headers?? I know it has something to do with the exhaust manifold thing... :confused:

Thanks,
Matthijs
In addition to what WVcat said, headers are a replacement to exhaust manifolds. Exhaust manifolds are usually Cast Iron, while headers are usually made of Stainless or other types of Steel. You can get "long tube" or "shortie" Headers. Shortie headers are about the same length as an exhaust manifold, while long tube headers are quite a bit longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts