Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a dumb question but i forgot how to install the instrument cluster on my 67 XR7. I am not really sure on the top scre ws that go into the new pad. The holes in the new pad look larger than those in the plastic part of the dash. I am not totally positive i have right screws.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I can't "see" any of it from here, but if you have the shop manual for the car, there is an illustration there. Or in the body assembly manual. Or you may be able to google your question, and see what looks familiar. Also, some of the vendors have diagrams that they make available for free...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I couldn't find anything. I dont have the shop manual for the car. Here is how I handled the issue. I bought some clips (little black ones that the screws can just scew directly into them), which clips onto the dash pad, then ran the screws through the instrment panel into the clips. I seemed like that was how it was meant to be installed.

Also, the little plastic pieces on the back, that had metal nuts, were so brittle they were un-usable. So I took the little plastic wall anchors, and put them in the holes in the plastic pieces, and cut them flush. Then I used some screws with washers and screwed them into the anchors. That also worked really well.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Oh. See I was thinking a completely different scenario. I thought you were talking intstruments into the metal dash, and then padded dash onto the metal frame work. If you could post some pictures of your repair, it might help some other folks out, that sounds like a new approach.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take some pictures this weekend and post to a pic account. The short of it though is I used these, upper left, to slide into the metal parts of the new Dash Pad

http://burnexcorp.com/images/j-clips.jpg

and these to put into the holes of the broken plast pieces that had the nuts screwed on.

http://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/DP/FJ/HELLOTD-1969633/wall_plugs_48e9d2953e475-250x250.png

I trimmed the plugs flush, then just used a screw with a washer to screw into the plug. I had to be careful that I didn't further break the plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts