Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, how do I type this?

I was getting my garage ready to pull my 67 XR7 into the garage to make it a convertible when this guy pulls up in a truck towing a 69 XR7. He gets out, looks around and says, "Yeah, this is the place." Walks over, introduces himself, as we shake hands, then points at the 69' XR7 on the trailer and ask, "You want it? Won't cost you a penny and it deserves better than the scrapyard." Ten minutes later it's off the trailer and nestled in between my two 67' XR7s. :) He was the 2nd owner of the car, and never drove it anywhere, because the original owner parted it at his shop and signed the title over to him later. I also got every piece of paperwork the original owner had in a manilla folder related to the car. I never asked him where he heard about my place from but he is the 3rd person to say,"Oh, I'm at the right place," as they get out of the car. I'll post the vin next post.

Here's what it has: 69 XR7 interior, 351W 2barrel, ac car, power steering, tilt wheel, disk brakes, 9 inch rear with 3.00 gears (non posi), electric windows.

Driver's seat needs slight work, headliner needs replacing, small hole in roof, probably replace/fix both bumpers, and came with 2 near perfect bumperettes (not original to the car) rapped up.

So... big question... do I leave it as original and just clean it up (I have an original 69 XR7 perfect headliner in the same type and black) to sell it later or do I restore it to sell it later? I'd like to spend the least money to make the most. (who wouldn't) but since I was going to do my 67' XR7 convertible project...guess the 69' could fund the 67' project?

What's you guys opinions?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Have you shopped for an already converted 67 'vert? They don't come up very often, but they are out there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Seriously? People just drive up to your place and give you cougars?? What the heck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woodsnake: Yeah, I shopped but more interested in making my own (my bodyman literally drools when we talk about the "soon to be convertible 67 Cougar." I've seen two of them here in Texas... one was a really bad job (looked like a hacked up jigsaw puzzle) and the other one he wanted $40K and it wasn't very impressive. It had a crummy paint job in an ugly, off colored yellow and mismatched (not even the same type all the way around) rims.

Cougar1: Yep... he just drove up with the car in tow. I didn't believe at first myself but that car is out under my carport. Plus, a local salvage yard owner asked me yesterday if I wanted a 69 Cougar that was about 70% of the way there. He didn't want to crush that car either and he likes Cougar enough to know I would do something with it (cost me $100 cash including having it pulled to teh house by a wrecker. My plate is starting to over flow with Cougars around here. Last count was 5 (2 67' XR7s, a regular 68', a 69' XR7 and now a regular 69') and my wife gave me "the look" when the last one arrived.

You get back what you put out and I put out that people would bring/give me 67-70 Cougar for free or next to nothing and they have. Also put out that I would get a free convertible top frame and got a free 71-72-73 Mustang/Cougar convertible frame the other day. Don't know what's going on but I like it. Alot better than them getting crushed for a few bucks.

So do I restore the 69' xr7 or do I just maintence what is there to keep it all original? Not sure...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Michael, you must being doing something right, can't give my opinion on something I can't see so post some pics of the 69 and I'm sure you get plenty suggestions. Sal Cougar Geek

·
Registered
94 Posts
...wow! I can't believe someone just showed up at your door with a stray cat. That's so awesome!

·
Registered
55 Posts
be nice if people with these old cars would do this more often instead of crushing them for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree with you there Kal...

Sal... I'll get some pics up quick as I can...and include the vins so we can account for these Wonderful Cougars.

I'm thinking that since the 69 XR7 has the usual rot both in front and behind the rear wheels on both sides and the salvage yard 69' has no rot in those area, it might be feasible to transplant the entire rear body panels from one car to another. The XR7 has alot more options/perks like the tilt steering and such and would be worth more. But I'm not the kinda guy that would just strip down a Cougar for scrap. The frame on the regular 69 is all straight and maybe I can find a local Cougar junkie that could do something with the car to restore it. Still has 80% of the front end although some freak did jump on the roof and it has 2 quarter size holes in it as well. Floorboards are toast and missing driver's door. I'll have to assess it further and see what my bodyman thinks is worth doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts