Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have the above car that was a los angeles L M sales distric sales vechicle. It has 26,000 miles, is a XR 7, 390 GT engine, power disk brakes, power steering, air, complete working california emissions system, console, tilt swing away wheel, black vinil top, factory styled wheels and correct tires, and is in its origional color of lime frost. This car needed no rust repair at all, not even a pin hole as the old paint was soda blasted off. Im looking at selling this car and I am not up on these cars and market to come up with a fair price, do you guys have any ideas ? Thanks paul.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Lots of Photos always help put a correct value on the car !

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tryed to post pics they were there when I typed this then hit post and they were gone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been trying to post pics, doesnt seem to want to go through.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
When a new member trys to post, the first few posts are moderated. I have approved yours and you should be all set. Welcome.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
All I can say is WOW - I mean whoa, err did I say WOW!! Nice! Droooool

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks it was a very tedeus restoration.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
One thing that jumped out at me from the pictures is the 6.5L badges. That suggests that the car does not have the GT package, which included competition suspension, power front disc brakes, and the 390-4V engine. It was possible to get the 390-4V without getting the GT package, but both would have been labelled as the 390GT Marauder engine. If you have a Marti report, check to see if the GT Equipment Group is listed among the options. If not, then your car is not a GT even though it has the same engine that a GT would get. It's just missing the other upgrades. That does somewhat affect the value, but the level of restoration you've apparently done should still put the car in the mid-20K range. The color combination isn't all that popular (I own the same color combination), so that could hold it back a bit from getting more.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car does not have GT package just 390 GT engine. In a way I think it was a very good idea because the car rides great, A very smooth corfortable ride like a good mercury should. As for the price haggerty insurance gave me an agreed value of $45,000 so I was hopeing to see if anyone may of sold a simular car recently to gauge prices and market, thanks paul.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Beautiful '68 XR-7 6.5L. So approximately how long ago did Hagerty put that agreed value on the car?
Hagerty is very accomodating about AUV. I asked for $50K for Isabel and supplied documentation, they agreed on what I wanted (for a price). What the car could sell for is however, a horse of an entirely different color...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Beautiful car.. a 6.5 litre XR7 however has not sold for for more than $25K for at least the last 5 years that I am aware of. Not saying it didnt happen but usually an XR7 GT fuilly restored will pull in 20-30 depending on detail.

Best of luck with selling it though. Great looking car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, the last concourse restoration I saw on a '67 (I'm talkin bout chalkmarks too) was three years ago and went for just over $24k. About the same time I had to sell my '68 thanks to cutbacks at work for $18.5k. I pulled the 302 and dropped a 351w in it. (look at my profile pics) Everything in this car was either new or rebuilt. I did everything but rebuild the block and replace the suspension and I still sunk $22k into it includng the cost of the car in the first place.
At this point I would not recommend anyone restore these cars and hope to profit from it. Restore them to enjoy. I don't believe you're going to hear anything that makes you happy as far as how much you can get for it. These are not rare cars that command big money. Put it on Hemmings or Autotrader for $20-25k firm and see if you get any bites...Then you will know what type of value your car is worth.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice....shame Cougars don't attract bigger dollars. I'd love to tidy up my engine bay to look like that. Once I get my AC going, it will be the next job.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No - if it was a Mustang we'd be well north of the 20k range, but cats just don't bring the love except for us poor fools! :>0 Ohhhh I mean investment grade buyers! LOL I will have to agree the color of the car may be a bigger deficit than it should be given the condition. If it was Blue/black/white/red it would be in a better position. If it were mine and I wasn't in a pinch to sell, I'd hold out for the mid 20's which I bet it will bring with the right person/interest in it. You couldn't build it for that so.....to me it's the bottom IMHO

1 - 20 of 39 Posts