Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small leak in the top of the windshield so I need to remove the chrome trim first to see where it is. I have blue trim removing tools but I'm not sure if I should work from the top by the roof and pull the trim towards the front of the car, or start on the windshield side of the trim and pull upwards? Since I don't know how it attaches I'm afraid to use too much force until I know the best way to do it. Thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I was able to get the trim off but I found out it's way harder to get it back on. I put some caulk where I thought it was leaking so I had a big mess after trying to get it back on a few times. Plus the heat index is like 120 so I decided to stop before I lost it. I put more caulk in so it doesnt leak in case it rains, so I'll have to figure out my next move. Some of the clips were loose so I think that's my problem. That and my patience :).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any luck getting the trim back on?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of. I tried putting it on the next day after the caulk dried and it's on but the driver's side is sticking out. I'm thinking maybe I bent it a little taking it off and there's my problem or it's just not in the clip the right way. Plus I'm not sure I saw able to stop the leak so I might have to redo everything anyway. I almost feel like filling the whole space with caulk and gluing the trim down. I'll most likely try a body shop if it gets to that point though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's where I'm headed once I see if the windshield is still leaking. I was thinking I'd buy new weatherstripping and those clips and take it to a place and have them remove the windshield and put it back with new hardware so it'll be done the right way instead of me doing it piece-meal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
boy that sounds like a great idea, i did that and still had a problem which they fixed 15 years ago. best investment i made that week

1 - 7 of 7 Posts