Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the difference is between the '67 and '68 XR-7 dash bezels? I've not been able to see one yet they have different part numbers so there must be something different. I also talked to Randy Goodling at Carlisle and he didn't know of one, either.

I'm getting ready to send some '68 bezels pieces out for rechroming so I can swap them into my '67 instead of leaving my dash pulled apart for weeks, but I don't want to do that if there is a meaningful difference.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Bill, as i understand the difference between 67 and 68 bezels are how they are attached to the dash

·
11,000 Posts
The '68 LH dash bezels have a diferent radius on the lower edge that matches the RH dash part. You can use one in a '68 or vice versa if you use a pair from the same year but I will notice the difference and other folks probably will too.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce, I just took a '68 gauge cluster bezel out to my car and laid it over the one that's installed. It slipped over the two large instrument pods like a glove and everything else appeared to line up exactly. So it looks like I've already got a '68 bezel installed. Phil Parcells told me that the main difference is the width of the space between the two large guages, with the '68 being about an inch wide and the '67 being much narrower. Is that the result of the diameter difference you referenced?

·
11,000 Posts
I don't / didn't know of any difference between the guages. I don't see how that could be possible? I don't have a 67 cluster here to compare with.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Here are three differences.
Additionally the thin chromed plastic on the bottom looks thicker on the 1967, it isn't, it has square corners, while the 1968 chrome has a rounded edge, making it appear thinner in the photo.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you plan to do an entire '68 panel with gauges intact, the dash lighting ground wiring is different from '67,..If you compare them, it is most evident on the AMP meter lamp wire. You'll see the difference and quickly figure the solution. When using the original 67 cluster onto a 68 bezel no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are three differences.
Additionally the thin chromed plastic on the bottom looks thicker on the 1967, it isn't, it has square corners, while the 1968 chrome has a rounded edge, making it appear thinner in the photo.
Scott, that's perfect! Thanks for posting this. I was planning to do the exact same comparison with a '68 bezel a friend of mine has once I get the '67 bezel Don Rush will be sending out. But now the question has been answered definitively.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts