Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many ports are on the 67 vacuum canister? I recently purchased a 67 cougar and the original canister is missing. It was replaced with a smaller "soup can" version and the light covers are very slow to open and close. So I am looking to put back the original canister. i have seen conflicting info...some say it has one port ...some say two. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
67 vac canister for headlites large size not soup can at Ebay right now about $25.I searhed 1969 Cougars earlier today and saw one in nice shape Catz ya Later Ray/Pacificatz

·
Registered
102 Posts
Vac Canister Ports

It depends on whether you have an early '67 or a late. L-M did away with the electic vacuum valve relay on the '68 models. The 1968 system, then, only required one port on the canister. Apparently they switched system near the end of '67, so quite a few '67s had '68 systems.

You can tell which system you have by looking for the electric vacuum valve relay. If you have it, your can should have two ports. If your vacuum valve is on the back of the headlight switch, your can should have one port.

For more, refer to the headlight vacuum schematics in TCCN's Encata, Volume 7.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the info. I was able to get my hands on a reservoir with one port for cheap. I think I found a way to use it by putting a "T" fitting in the vacuum line and then going to the valve. Since there does not seem to be a check valve on the reservoir itself, it should work. Anyway once I get it connected I'll report back. Again, thanks for all the help!!:)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked!

I finally had time to install and connect my one port vacuum reservoir in my 67 using the original electric vacuum valve relay. It works great!! A check valve was placed in the orange striped vacuum line which was connected to the reservoir. The white striped line was connected to the orange striped line using a T fitting located between the valve and the reservoir. Thanks to all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts