Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soooooo......

about 10 years ago when I picked up my 67 XR7 it had no turn signals at all. after sorting through the wiring and seeing the butt spliced the new turn signal switch in I went and found factory plugs and bought all the right connectors to fix it correctly and bought a new turn signal switch from SHEE-MAR. at that point I then had turn signals but non sequential just the center.

2 years ago I did the rack and pinion swap and after modifying the column it was sitting in the garage and fell over breaking the SHEE-MAR switch. so then I went ahead and picked up a scott drake switch and finished the steering conversion.

after starting back on my car a few months ago after having some long drawn out health issues. I noticed I had no turn signals at all. I hear the clicking in the trunk but nothing. while doing some trading with a fellow member I got a complete board setup for the trunk which was a working unit on his car but still nothing. no turn signals or emergency at all.

I also want to include the dash is apart! I mean APART! so the instrument cluster is not there right now, no heater box, nothing!

Thats what I got . thanks in advance for your input,BTW I was wondering if the turn signal circuit needs to make a loop through the indicator lights on the dash? that would explain why I have nothing!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I looked at that but the area that falls into my category is the NO Turn Signals. but the thing that gets me is that in that tech article it says that if you have no turn signals but the emergencys still work its the turn signal switch ,BUT I have nothing, no Turn signals or Emergencys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did a little more investigating today and something that has kind of been throwing me for a loop is there was 2,yes 2. of part number C7WB-13A366-B under the dash. one was hanging real low and attached to the bracket with everything else and this was the one that was plugged in.It was screwing with me because I had only one plug and two relays and the harness is in great shape and had never been touched. the only conclusion I can draw on this is someone didnt want to deal with the other one cause it looks like you may have to work a little to get it out so someone left it and just mounted this up. so tomorrow more investigating will continue and we'll see what I find but I think it may be the Turn signal switch!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it all sorted out! I got turn signals again! not only that but I got sequential turn signals!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad turn signal switch. it was a pain to sort out because I had a buddy helping me take the dash apart originally and it also looked like he unplugged part of the harness on the passenger side and tried to plug it back in and it was not pluged all the way back in.

SOOOOOO........ after performing the test (or checking according to the diagnostic chart) on the switch found out my scott drake switch was bad(brand new BTW) my local auto parts store I used to work had a SHEE-MAR switch in stock picked that up and tested before install and were good.

then still had nothing checked around found that plug in the harness being not plugged all the way, which I know was my friend cause I asked him and almost had to beat it out of him that he did infact unplug part of the harness and plug it back in half ass.

at that point I had regular turn signals again. Then I replaced the entire trunk unit with one I got from CATMANDO and I had Sequential Turn signals and was pretty excited seeing as how my 68 never had them and when I bought this 67 it didnt have them either!

so it worked out great! also It was nice to clean up under the dash where the previous owner or a shop at one point added an additional 4 pin relay under the dash because they didnt want to take out the mounting plate and take the original "bad" on off. that screwed me up for a bit because I had 2 relays and 1 plug.

feels great to get this all ironed out!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts