Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought you might all like to know about this. I have a PC driving simulator called "GT Legends which uses cars from the 60's and 70's. The most recent downloaded model is this- 50uz00.jpg gtl2011-03-2618-35-42-17b9.jpg 54c7s5.jpg
These are just two of a variety of different skins available for this model. The simulator is published by a crowd called SimBin, and among the other types available are the GT40 Mks 1 and 2, Boss 302 Transam Mustang, 65,6, and 67 Shelby GT350 and 500, 427 Cobra, and a large number of European types from the period. Some of these models are downoloded addons from a very enthusiastic group of enthusiasts, and some of the addon circuits include Laguna Seca, Riverside, Road America, Daytona and a bevy of international circuits as well.

Regards

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Very cool indeed! What game is that, and how much? Where do you get it at?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Great pics but the tires pictured are slicks. A/S and T/A cars of that era were (and still are) required to use bias ply treaded tires with an 8" rim.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Leon,
Leon,
It will run on Win 7 but needs to be patched with a no CD key and a few other things. It is now a game that's getting on a little, and because it used Starforce copy protection it became almost impossible to run. It was released in 2005, and a dedicated fan base began to introduce new models and circuits. A site called NoGrip Racing Forums is the main place I have been to for this stuff, while the Cougar comes from a German site called GT4U. I'll try and get more specific info for you. I found my version of the game on Ebay, and NoGrip has the leads for the mods you need to get it to run on Win7. You can still find the game around the place by the way- at least online. When I find a little time, I'll try to provide more specific info.

Regards

Peter

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Awesome find! I've been looking for a game like this. The last game I remember playing that focused on classic cars was Interstate '76, but that game was a little cheesy. I just ordered my copy :).

BTW, GT4U.de -> GTR4U.de

@Art - Just in case you forgot, this is a video game! :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Woodsnake, the game may still be on Amazon, and I have also seen it on Ebay. It was originally created to run on Win98 and XP, and needs a patch and a No CD file to run on Win 7 but these are available online. There you will also find instructions for the installation sequence so it will run on Win7. It is very cheap to buy now- I think I paid $10.00 for mine!

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Art, and thanks for your observations! I am surprised that the creators got this wrong, but it is still great fun to drive it, especially at Road Atlanta and Riverside- and this is about as close as I'm ever going to get to driving either one of those cars at those circuits! The sound is so good the first thing you hear is the starter grinding away at the flywheel!

Best Wishes

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your observation, Propayne! The model is in its revision 1 phase of development and I am sure the designers will try to straighten this out once told!

Best Wishes

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
735 Posts
Peter - I know that it really doesn't make any difference, but that Castrol decal is even kinda' an inside joke with some of my Delmarva Cougar Club friends.

I recreated all the decals for David Tom, when he was putting back together what was left of one of the original Bud Moore Cougars and I did a lot of research to get the decals correct and now when I look at restored or recreated Trans Am cars I can't help but inspect all the decals!

Ross Myer's BME Cougar has that later Castrol decal that was used after 1967 and a lot of people seem to look at his car when they want reference. That's why the toys are all that tomato red and not the correct and darker cardinal red.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I'm scoping a cheap copy right now on ebay....How do you "drive" the car on the computer? Do you have to have a specific controller for that? I don't necessarily 'play' games like this, but I want to be able to at least watch and listen. I am absolutely no good at any game that requires a controller. I do play a pretty good game of pool though....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Woodsnake,
To be able to drive you'll need a PC steering wheel and pedal set. The Cougar set comes from a German page called GT4U and follow your nose :) I am not sure of the cost of the wheel and pedals in US, but you can sometimes find good second hand ones around the place. The Force Feedback wheels simulate the vibrations and loads you feel through the real thing, and you can upshift and downshift as well.... I have a Logitech myself, and they are quite easy to install. You can actually sit in the car with all the instruments working and when that HM 289 fires and winds out it sounds wonderful, as does the 427 Cobra's engine. You can get a good look at how this all looks by going on to UTube searching under GT Legends and taking a ride, for example, in a GT40 around Le Mans using the 67 circuit- footage taken from the game. Hope this is helpful for you but I don't know how to create a link to show the UTube screen here!

Peter

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I just got the game today, and now I will have to get a controller....Trying to 'downshift' R ALT in the middle of the apex just won't work! I wonder what all I have to win, to get the cougar? That's all I want...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
They do show the black, Burien car, and I have a little one of those!-)

·
Registered
307 Posts
The wheel doesn't look bad.Then again I'm not a wizard at this computer stuff either.If you do get it, a cougar center cap decal might fit nicely over a friggin horse decal! "Looks like yer gonna have to do some racin son to get the Cat!"

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woodsnake, that is what they call an entry level wheel, but it seems a reasonable wheel for a good price- I am not too familiar with US wheel prices but it looks OK. The Logitech wheels can get very pricey!

Regards
Peter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts