Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tilt wheel on my 67' small block cougar is loose and not what I'd consider safe if you're driving around town. I want my wheel to be tight in the down position and go into the up position with a reassuring click that doesn't allow the wheel to pop loose and fall when turning the wheels in park. It has to be something to do with the part that keeps the wheel in its position that has been selected or the bearings. I've read on here that the bearings seem to fix loose tilt columns, however, no one I can find sells new bearings for the upper and lower. I appreciate that used ones are available but I definitely want new ones in my column that I won't ever have to change again. Does anyone have any hints or clues in fixing my column? Is it the bearings or could it be something else? If it is the bearings, are they available new and how do you get them installed? I will be doing this project on my own and it shall be a major learning experience. Thanks again MC.net :)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If it won't stay locked the most probably cause is that the pins that hold the pawls are out on one side. This will be obvious when you take it apart. The bearing are still available from Ford but you will need a good parts desk guy to find the numbers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xrg428 you hit the nail on the head. The pins were out to one side. We drove them back towards the other side and now my question is what keeps them there? Also, the rod the puts pressure on the spring that keeps the wheel in the selected position is bent. The spring itself maybe weak too. I am going to take the rod out Thursday if I get time. Do I just straighten it, buy a new one (if available), or make one custom? Can I buy a new spring or is the bent rod the sole reason for the loose play on the wheel? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Also, the rod the puts pressure on the spring that keeps the wheel in the selected position is bent. The spring itself maybe weak too. I am going to take the rod out Thursday if I get time. Do I just straighten it, buy a new one (if available), or make one custom? Can I buy a new spring or is the bent rod the sole reason for the loose play on the wheel? Thanks again!
The rod like a large nail, with a "T" head on it? It is not bent.

<table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="600"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1969 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Tilt Tension Spring Rod - Used

<table width="600"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td width="300"><center><table align="left"><tbody><tr><td align="center">[URL="http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11089400041767_2176_143915216"]</td></tr><tr><td><center>Click to enlarge</center></td></tr></tbody></table>[/URL]</center></td><td width="300"><table border="2" cellPadding="5"><tbody><tr><td><form id="yfc_1" method="post" action="https://order.store.yahoo.net/yhst-11089400041767/cgi-bin/wg-order?yhst-11089400041767+q2c60">Print This Page
Bookmark Page

Availability:
Usually ships the next business day

Orderable?

Part #: 1000039
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
Price:$29.00

<input name="vwitem" value="q2c60" type="hidden">I Need to Order: <input name="vwquantity" maxLength="3" value="1" size="3">
<input value="Order Item (add to cart)" type="submit">
<input name=".autodone" value="http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/q2c60.html" type="hidden">
</form>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
[/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td width="600"><map name="3af04e9477f81403"><area href="http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11089400041767_2176_216925493" shape="rect" coords="0,0,175,131"></map>

Description:
Don't try to straighten your rod if it looks like this. The contour seen here is correct.

</td></tr><tr><td><table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
<!-- Yahoo Related Items Div //-->
<!-- End Yahoo Related Items Div //-->

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so maybe the rod isn't bent after all...could it be the spring or am I off track with what makes the wheel wobble when steering? Do they sell new springs?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Once the pins are correctly inserted and the tangs are fully engaged, the wobble is coming from the bearings. If you put the wheel on, while the outer housing is off, you can see that the short shaft is moving inside the bearings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both tangs on mine are not engaging at the same time. In the up position 1 grabs the teeth and in the down position the other grabs teeth ( or goes into the slot), but both do not at the same time. I wondered if this could be an issue as well. I wobbled the wheel and couldn't see any play with the shaft inside the upper bearing; however, I can't see the bottom bearing to verify if it is where the slop is coming from.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It doesn't take much play in the bearings to make the wobble. The action of the tangs is correct. They alternate as you move the wheel one notch at a time.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Keep in mind the worlds foremost leading authority (fastmerc) on these columns is on this forum and will rebuild them better than new for a reasonable sum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just figured out that the rod that goes to the spring has be on backwards. It has wear on the side with the bend and I'm sure that this could be the problem. I'll be ordering a manual from you tomorrow Don. Unfortunately, I've got to do this the hard way and fix it myself so I can show my boys when they inherit the car. Thank you all very much for your help!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The wear mark is normal. You can verify that the spring is not the problem by using a C clamp to clamp the tang down into the toothed strip. DO NOT apply too much pressure the tangs are cast and can break. There are two sets of bearings. They are both critical to eliminating the wobble.

I found the part numbers for you.

C7SZ-3517-C Lower also known as S03-4250-045

C7SZ-3517-D Upper also known as S03-4250-050

You will need to read the manual to learn how to pull the pins that create the axle for the upper section to rotate on. I make my own puller using hardware store parts. And Allen head screw, a short piece of tubing of larger diameter than the pin to be pulled, a washer larger than the tube and a nut that fits on the Allen head screw, is all it takes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts