Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to put in a new turn signal switch in my 67 cougar with a tilt column. I got the wheel and cover off but there is what looks like a washer with a spring behind it that i dont know how to get off. so before i brake something taking it off, can anyone help? and is there anything else I should know?

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am doubting that you have a 67 Cougar tilt in the car. I have worked on several of them and have never seen one with the "washer".

One thing you need to know is that you have to remove the switch wires from the connector in order to get the old switch out. The connector cannot fit through the space where the wires go . The best way to do this is to cut the wires off leaving several inches still in the connector. After you have the new switch in place, you can remove one cut wire from the connector and insert the same wire from the new switch into the connector. If you do it this way, you will not mix up the wires and have electrical problems. You do need a special tool to remove the wires from the connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am trying to put in a new turn signal switch in my 67 cougar with a tilt column. I got the wheel and cover off but there is what looks like a washer with a spring behind it that i dont know how to get off. so before i brake something taking it off, can anyone help? and is there anything else I should know?
I can tell you I took my pins out and remove the tilt tilt away function the spring is like that used in brakes holding the shoes to the backing plate you have to depress the spring and at the same time turn the PIN the pin is locked into a knuckle under the tilt tilt away function once the spring is removed and the pins are removed the tilt tilt away mechanisms can be removed from the steering column there are no videos on removing the spring I ended up depressing the spring with a pair of channel locks and grabbed the back of the PIN with vice grips at that point I was able to twist the vice grips to remove the pin from the lock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts