Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a 67 tilt away column from a Cougar into a Mustang for a customer. We have everything for it, and everything is hooked up, except we have one problem. When I power up the fused wire that goes to the back of the ignition switch accessory terminal, my dome lights go off. I can hear the relay clicking when this happens. Anybody know what might be the problem?

thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Doug,

I suspect you have your wiring in the door jamb switch bass ackwards somehow..... I don't have any of my info in front of me, but that is what I suspect...... Door switch is supposed to supply power to the relay that activates the solenoid. You may need to swap the pigtail from the "tilt switch" to the other wire on the normal door courtesy lamp switch.

I'll have to dig out my wiring diagrams and get back to you. If you email me I'll send you a phone number too.

Steve

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Really? You came on a Cougar board to get advice about how to use Cougar parts on a Mustang? Wow...

I think it is a classic case of organ transplant rejection... Using Cat parts for Horse surgery.

Actually the fix is really simple, carefully remove the column from the Mustang, and replace the Mustang with a Cougar, the column should work perfectly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We found it. It was a dome light circuit problem. The power wire going to the passenger door dome light switch had a break in it. It was causing weird problems and I kept getting questions from my employee who was working on it. I finally went out this morning and isolated the problem to that wire. Once we fixed that, everything works fine.

Thanks fastmerc. I was told you were the authority on this.

And xr7g428, yes it is a transplant, but it's not like we are running a chevy engine in this Mustang. I work on and restore plenty of Cougars too, but there are just so many more Mustangs so that's what I run into mostly.

Thanks again,
Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts