Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what the difference between the 67 and 68 and up suspension is. Does the 67 'stang suspension also have something unique about it? I'm just curious why 67 cougar suspension rebuild kits cost more.
Thanks
Cody

·
Registered
885 Posts
Cody,

I believe there is something different about the A-arms, length or size of bushings, etc.. Why it would be more expensive, I don't know.

Steve C.

·
11,000 Posts
The lower control arms on a '67 Cougar have the articulated compliance strut bushing bolt pattern. The same control arms are used on a '67 Mustang but in the case of the Mustang solid (non - articulated) struts are used. The struts are unique left / right on Mustang.

In 1968 the Cougar and Mustang used the same non - articulated strut and the bolt pattern was changed so that both struts could be identical. The same control arms are used through 1973 model year although the strut design changed a couple times.

So the reason 1967 suspension is more expensive is because the lower control arms are different and specific to 1967 only, plus the articulated strut bushings are in the kit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,
Could I swap my 67 over to a 68 Cougar/Mustang set up if I bought a set of lower arms and strut rods for a 68?
I was interested in using the "Grab-A-Track" suspension kit from Mustangs Plus, they seem to be very reasonably priced($200 or so less than PST). If anyone has any suggestions they would be more than welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cody,
That is a common swap. Makes life easier. If your not concerned about originality, swap away. I have not used any of the "grab" stuff, but a word of caution. You get what you pay for. I tried cheaper parts, but the customers came back complaining. I switched to Moog 15+ years ago, and no returns, problems, or complaints. Just my personal experiance & .02 cents worth!

·
11,000 Posts
Cody,
'68 lower control arms can be used on your car with a set of either '68-69 or 70 strut rods from either Mustang or Cougar. All fit the same, they just changed the threads and nuts from year to year.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Gotta resurrect this thread, dudes and dudettes... :)

Anyone know if the bushings for the strut rod at the control arm are available anywhere? Mine look to be in "OK" shape, as far as I can tell, but I am putting new ones on the front, and thought I might as well replace the back ones at the same time if they can be had somewhere...

I know the best solution is to switch to '68 LCA's and struts...but don't wanna get into that for now...I'll switch over when I have to change the LCA's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts