Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 cougar and I am looking for advice on beefing up the rear and front suspensions. Having read a lot on this subject I find myself torn in several directions. My preference is to to keep the rear leaf spring setup and use "stock" front end parts.

My thoughts thus far,

In my youth I bought high lift leaf springs, stiff to say the lease, they gotta go. I am looking to buy factory replacements with high end shackles and bushings.

Mustang Steve has conversion plates so that modern mustang cobra or mustang GT brakes bolt right on.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

PST has a complete front end rebuild kit for between 220-300 bucks.
http://www.p-s-t.com/pc-927-94-mercury-cougar-1967-88.aspx

I will be fabricating sub-frame connectors, roll bar and have not decided whether or not to put in cross members and a drive shaft safety loop.

I am in the process of making replacements for the rear frame rails and gas tank supports (I will put this in another thread when I get some pics) which is why I would be open to a more involved rear suspension setup - short of doing a complete back-half.

So any advice on beefing up the front and rear suspension? Please share your success stories and any tips and trick you feel like sharing.

Also if I keep my 67 drum spindles and go with the conversion what is involved with converting 68 parts to fit them, i.e. the lower ball joint assembly. I have heard conflicting reports on swap-ability of 67 and 68 front end parts.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Dan

·
Registered
321 Posts
So is this a drag car? If so is keeping the front suspension as light as possible would be best so a rebuild with quality components is a must. The Mustang Steve kit is a nice setup, use it on the wife's 66 Mustang. Got it all on there for about $600. Not all 17 inch wheels fit though so heads up. Weld the shock tower seams up and gusset the outer shock tower to the outer frame rail. 4 linking the car is probably the least expensive but if you're going coil over, Total Control Products has just about the least expensive entry level rear coilover kit...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will primarily be a street car that makes occasional appearances on strip. For now I am going to go with a custom export brace, monte carlo bar and larger sway bar in the front and a rear sway bar.

I will be starting my new career as a geophysicist this upcoming January so it is only a matter of time before I can upgrade to something similar to what I found here, only not quite so high end.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1102phr_project_max_effort_cougar_rear_suspension/index.html

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So is this a drag car? If so is keeping the front suspension as light as possible would be best so a rebuild with quality components is a must. The Mustang Steve kit is a nice setup, use it on the wife's 66 Mustang. Got it all on there for about $600. Not all 17 inch wheels fit though so heads up. Weld the shock tower seams up and gusset the outer shock tower to the outer frame rail. 4 linking the car is probably the least expensive but if you're going coil over, Total Control Products has just about the least expensive entry level rear coilover kit...
I could be completely wrong, but TCP's rear coilover and torque arm suspension appears to be priced in the $5000 range; whereas Total Cost Involved's(TCI) is around $1800 and it looks nicer! No comment really as to the benefits of one as opposed to the other since I don't have either; but I watched TCI's get installed on the V8 interceptor on Gearztv and it looks fantastic as well as easy to install. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bump for responses!!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Lakewood traction bars and 90/10 Cure Rides is all I ever used. :D

·
11,000 Posts
Recommend you swap to '68 strut rods and lower control arms. Totally works with the '67 spindles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I could be completely wrong, but TCP's rear coilover and torque arm suspension appears to be priced in the $5000 range; whereas Total Cost Involved's(TCI) is around $1800 and it looks nicer! No comment really as to the benefits of one as opposed to the other since I don't have either; but I watched TCI's get installed on the V8 interceptor on Gearztv and it looks fantastic as well as easy to install. Am I missing something?

No, not missing anything, you are correct on the torque arm...I was just referencing the basic TCP coilover kit. Which is not the best drag setup...just throwing it out there...I probably would throw some Caltracs on it and call it good. Probably what I'll do with the 67 that's in the planning stages..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts