Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked the archive and I have found no topic on restoring the steel style chrome wheels. I have wheels that were on my brothers Cougar that he drove in high school. The chrome has some rust as does the black steel area. Can they be restored at a fair cost? I know I can get reproduction wheels but I would love to use these on my car with the family connection. Any good sources for restoring wheels?
Steven

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I suspect that wheel restoration/rechroming, if you could find a shop interested in doing it, would not be cost effective in comparison to buying repro wheels. If someone else has information to the contrary, please chime in.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You can do some restoration if you are not concerned about the wheels being perfect. Elbow grease mostly. I taped off the chrome sections and sandblasted the wheels on my set of salvage yard wheels. I repainted the black and silver parts and polished the chrome parts and they came out pretty well. If your budget permits you to purchase the re-pops it would be a labor saver as well as eliminating the need for the trim rings if you get the all chrome versions. Personally I like the look of the trim rings.

Keep in mind the '67 wheels also have a large spoke opening and they discovered this led to cracks in some of the '67 SSW's. In the '68 wheel they decreased the size of those openings to eliminate the cracking.

'67 wheels
'68 wheels

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I agree that the reproductions will probably be the way to go. The rims have some pitting in the chrome. Out of the five wheels I have one good one with no rust at all and good chrome. If nothing else I will use it as a spare tire so my car will still have the "family" connection and buy four reproductions. I will keep the others in the shop.
Steven

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
also to consider is the width of the 67 wheels is only 5.5 inches which makes it difficult to put any decent sized tire on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts