Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's my plan I have a 67 std 289 2v c4 8" but the interior is stripped and im not interested in doing a full restoration so what I want to do is 351w supercharged ati procharger 8psi with aftermarket heads then swap in a c6 I plan on running a 3.73 ratio explorer 8.8 31spline disc brakes and making all that happen is what im asking about has anyone had any experience with this combo or anything like it in a 67.
My background is rockcrawling I've built a couple jeeps one big 76 f150 on tons exoed 42"irocks im working in a reasonably well equipped shop with car lift I can fabricate parts weld and consider myself to be a decent mechanic but im new to the hotrod scene I've been wanting to build a 67 cougar for 13 years (dusk til dawn ) so any help/ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated oh yeah im running on a fairly tight budget so I need to spend the monies wisely im not afraid to dive into a junkyard for parts
p.s im looking for a spot on the curb barry is my name I look forward to learning about the cars and people who love them

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is thier no interest in a project like this am I on my own should I not be building this car into a hotrod I personally think its to far gone to restore but that's me as far as I know it is not very special please let me know do I need to post the vin#

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Go for it. Been looking at a build costs for a 331W 5.0 with Eaton supercharger and injection for a while. i like the balance of the smaller lighter motor in 67/68 - plus a 331 will rev easily to 7500

Not sure i can get you a spot on the Curb but might be able to arrange a smudge

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im considering a fuel injected 351 but a friend Is strongly suggesting a blow through carb either way he has the skills required to build a wiring harness for FI in my cougar but he likes the simplicity of tuning a carb for hotrods

·
Registered
97 Posts
E.F.I is the way to go for boosted apps.
it gives you all the engine control you need to make it run the best.
fuel curves, spark advance curves, boost control, data logging (great for diagnostics and tuning).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you go efi , then go with an od setup---infact , i'd go with the od with the 3.73 anyway------as a road car and with a c-6 a 2.75/3.0 with the low gear set in the trans (10% lower in first and 5% lower in second ) gives aceleration and roadability

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I pulled the original 289 out of my cougar popped the heads off and what do ya know one of the cylinders is scored about 20-30 thousands deep so it will likely have to be sleeved so im not gona get to run it while waiting to build my 351 so I might just drop in a 302 not sure yet I don't have a motor yet so whatever falls in my lap within budget I guess ill run it so anybody got a 302 or 351W near north Carolina gimme a shout

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've been doing a few efi swaps lately. I have been buying up 96-2001 ford explorer 5.0's. They have gt40 or gt40p heads and respond really well to cam and boost. I have been charging $600 to simplify the efi harness and put a base tune and remove the PATS. The motors can be bought for under a $1000 from most online salvage yards. Most of the time they come with the all the efi, ignition and wiring harness because its a real hassle to remove it for scrap prices. The pcms can be had for as little as $25 on ebay for a v8 explorer. I can convert almost any eccV coil pack v8 pcm to work. The 2wd explorer 4r70 5.0 transmissions can be had for under $500 and is a nice little package when bought altogether. The blocks can't be trusted past 500hp as with about any factory 302 made after 1974. Some will survive some won't and a regular human can't tell. I would look for a wrecked 2wd 5.0 explorer in your area on craigslist and you have almost everything you need. I have been buying them for less than $2000 and scapping the bodies for about $400 you get at least $100 out of the cats and $30 to $50 out of the wheels if they are aluminum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey that's alot of great info thank you what do you think about a 96 truck 351w I found 1 for $500 near me 96k miles its a complete truck with a bad power steering system motor an tranny are supposed to be fine

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
'96 F-series 351w will have a heavy-duty E4OD, not a regular AOD or AOD-E or 4R70W. E4ODs are HUGE and HEAVY!!! But they're pretty much bullet-proof. They're basically a heavy-duty C-6 that is electronically controlled and with an overdrive.

OK, a short lesson in Ford trans capabilities... The AOD was only good for around 450 lb/ft torque because of the two-piece (inner/outer) inner input shaft being the weak link, and 550 with the aftermarket hardened inner input shaft. The electronically controlled AOD-E and 4R70W was good for 700 lb/ft, the 2004-later 4R75W is good for 750 lb/ft and the E4OD (also known as the 4R100) is good for around 1000 lb/ft torque. See? Ford made it easy for you!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I too prefer a 351w over a 302, but the gt40 explorer with a cam and spring change will surprise you. Do a google search on gt40p and cam dyno. There's people out there making over 300 HP and running low 12's. My personal 200k clapped out explorer motor and cam swap is making 290hp 310 ftlb of torque and getting over 20 miles to the gallon with an economy tune. Which is pretty much the stock explorer tune with some parameters changed. It's not good for a performance tune. The open loop parameters will have to be changed the stock tune is in closed loop almost all the time. This is bad if you are trying to make high power runs. I think a wrecked explorer 2wd 5.0 is the way to go since you already want an 8.8 rearend out of an explorer which has 31 spline axels and sometimes traction lock. Since you are wanting to boost the motor it is going to need tuned. To tune the f150 351w you are going to need a chip burner, a chip, and tuning software. With the explorer setup you only need tuning software/interface . With that amount of boost you would need 24lb or 32lb injectors. I did the explorer swap as a way to get by until i fixed my 392w. I was already using the explorer efi setup on my 392 anyhow. I had to learn the hard way about the whole open loop thing. If I would have read something like this 2 years ago i would not have put much stock in it because I didn't think a 302 was worth the time. But, I have to say I am pretty impressed and I am doing more of these. That is just a free opinion for what it is worth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already have the 8.8 rear a junk yard near me has $20 days all you can carry for $20 dollars so I went and pulled the 8.8 3.73ratio 31spline disc brake axle and got a heck of a deal.I did just bring home the $500 f150 the motor cranked up no smoke knocks nothing bad so far and I got a whole truck I really can't go wrong as long as the motor is ok . The bonus is it has an e4od im gona gut and put the internals in my rockcrawlers c6 to get the lower 1st gear man I appreciate all the advice you seem to be a very knowledgeable source

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm glad you found something cheap. I would like to see some pics of the build as it goes. If you ever want to run the boost up and need a intercooler I have pictures of my intercooler routing on my incomplete 68 cougar turbo build.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Remember also that that '96 351W (5.8L) has a roller cam block! I absolutely love the roller cam I put into my 351W-based 393 stroker. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a roller Windsor block when I built my motor back in '06. Anyway, with a cam change alone from a Comp Cams X4262H hydraulic flat tappet to the XR276RF-HR retrofit hydraulic roller cam, the engine gained around a hundred horsepower! That's on a 9.4:1 regular unleaded motor! AND I'll never have to worry about 'wiping' the cam out because of today's non-ZDDP engine oils...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey kooade I would love some pics of your intercooler routing im gona run an intercooler to it came with the sc kit. Cougrrrcj what's the benefit of a roller block even though im swapping cams anywase

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kooade all I have to say is hats off to ya man I spent a little over an hour reading your build thread and quality of fabrication an attention to detail is second to none I have done a good bit of fabrication myself but that only gives me a higher level of appreciation of that level of work beside I was fabricating on a rusty old rockcrawling f150 if it works its good

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2012-09-25_08-54-18_587.jpg here is my heart donor 96 f150 with 351w

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 56 Posts