Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a good pic of the starter solenoid on a 67 XR7 289? My shop manual seems to gloss over it. I'm having some wiring issues with it and the starter. I'd really appreciate it, thanks, Bruce

I'm sure there's another threads on this, I can't find one on a 67 XR7 with any pics.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm unsure if an XR7 is any different than a standard. What problems/symptoms are you having? OE Ford solenoids are near bullet proof. Aftermarket and reproductions are hit and miss. Generally they are crap and I never replace an OE Solenoid unless its proven bad and when I do its a factory part or used OE. I can count on one hand the number of Ford solenoids I have replaced in 30+ years as an auto tech. And yes the service manual is very weak in all things electrical IMO. 14-4 has a usable picture with cranking circuit testing. 19-4 is also useful. What makes it hard is you need to convert the wire number to color code and hope a description exists. Which 9 out of 10 times it does not. Here is a picture of the solenoid on my 67 standard 289.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I would have responded sooner but have been really busy.
My starter won't disingage. I had the motor out for a engine compartment makeover. My car has 3 (not including the battery terminal) eyelets, just wanted to see if I had them on the right side. Mine wont do anything if I have the red small wire where you have it. Mine will only start if I jump the solenoid, or run the battery charger. I have swapped the solenoid twice at Advance, and tried tapping it with a small hammer. ( I hope this reads well, not a good time) Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunatly my camera lense is scratched after letting my kid use it. Mine looks the same as pictured above, only mine has an additional loom connected to the large post near the battery. It appears to be factory. The smaller terminals pictured above are the opposite on the colors. My local Advance Auto is getting me a supposed better quality BW unit tonight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, just put the BW solenoid in, now there's nothing except a click in a dash relay. I know the battery is good, 1 yr old green Interstate.

Could an alternator cause this? While doing the bay/engine cleanup, I was giving a new one, it was clean, so I used it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The wire coming from the ignition switch should be red with a blue stripe as per the manual and my 67. It should connect to the small terminal marked S on the left. The brown wire should be on the small terminal marked I on the right. If you have the red with a blue stripe wire and the brown wire reversed the starter will not crank when the key is in the crank position. If you run a jumper wire from the battery + terminal to the S terminal on the solenoid does the engine crank? It should. If it does either there is no power on the red wire with the blue stripe coming from the ignition switch when the key is in the crank position or the red wire with a blue strip wire was not connected to the S terminal. Using a 12 volt test light have someone hold the key in the crank position while you test for power on the red wire with the blue stripe. Probe to wire lead to battery -. If there is no power on the red/blue wire make sure the neutral safety switch is connected and working correctly. You will need to trace the red/blue wire back to the ignition switch checking for power at each junction.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
As dumb as thid sounds I have had the same problem and it is over tightening of the post on the solenoid terminals, it causes a short and causes a jump between the terminals.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, I'm working on it now with no luck yet. Question, there's a small harness that runs off the back of the alt with a large eyelet, maybe 3 wires? Is this grounded to the block? Thanks everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts