Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question but what goes in the car first, the dash pad or gauge cluster? Just want to the easiest method before I go messin' around with my new $400 dash pad needlessly. It appears it could go either way but I'm sure there is a method that is easier and will likely yield better results and won't tear up the pad or scratch the gauge cluster. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don,t forget about the slots in the front edge of the pad for the trim screws, see old pad and a heat gun for the sides is helpful.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok you're gonna have to brief me on this heat gun detail. The old pad is long gone, i only have the new one. Hope I didn't miss something here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The sides of the new pad if it is the same one I have, are pretty stiff and hard to get in at the door jam area a good soaking in the hot sun would help.I still have my old pad I can try to get a picture up, these screw clearance slots are pretty important. those window trim pieces are a real pain to get in anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm still a little hazy on the window trim pieces being in the way but I do understand the new pad being hard. The instructions say install when its above 70 degrees. I'm goin to "try" to install it or at least set it in place this Saturday. The outside temp will be 77 and I'll let it soak the sun for a bit. Figure the clearance issues you describe will be visible then.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you set it in place put you window trim in place also you will see you can't find the screw holes for the trim under the pad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay not to sound like a fool who doesn't understand but the window trim your referring to is the molding around the front windshield right? I thought the front just took the clips to hold the molding which is why i'm confused. Sorry man, I just want to understand this and I removed this interior 3 and half years ago thus don't remember what I should have documented. Lesson well learned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
on the inside 2 pieces screwed in at the base of the windshield

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so you're talking about the 2 trim interior pieces that are the color of the dash pad or the interior that car had (mine are black) The run along the front edge of the pad between the glass and pad. Is that it because that makes perfect sense as the screw holes are along where the pad is once installed? Thanks for your patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts